FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter
    Just to pick up on G-Star, I agree with the comments above.

The branding is just too over the top, and in your face. Unfortunately, anything that goes into USC (for the most part) is chav wear.

They could easily tone it down, and drop the branding - maybe even add a separate division, which uses the same materials, but styled slightly differently. I actually really like their denim..

FashionBeans Staff
    I've been pottering into Jack Wills quite a bit of late and I'm hugely impressed. Everyone seems to have gotten over their A&F, Hollister, Jack Wills love explosion so the brand has become somewhat more acceptable to me, They have some really, really great stuff in their. I particularly like their blazers, knitwear, coloured cords and a mustard colour duffle coat that I want want want.

I generally try to avoid buying a lot from Topman simply because every other bugger will be wearing it; but I wouldn't say avoid it. Otherwise, pretty much the same as the above.

Fashionisto
    Basically anything in Republic.

Also agree with the comments above, hate the brands that plaster their name all over their clothes. Most notably Bench, Crosshatch, G-Star, Gio Goi etc etc etc

I don't understand the hate towards SuperDry. Yeah fair enough, EVERYONE seems to be wearing it but they do have a few nice things. The vast the majority of their tees are horrible but they have some neat knitwear at the moment.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Santino View Post
    Basically anything in Republic.

Also agree with the comments above, hate the brands that plaster their name all over their clothes. Most notably Bench, Crosshatch, G-Star, Gio Goi etc etc etc

I don't understand the hate towards SuperDry. Yeah fair enough, EVERYONE seems to be wearing it but they do have a few nice things. The vast the majority of their tees are horrible but they have some neat knitwear at the moment.
    I think what I dislike about Superdry is that their jackets, shirts, coats etc often have a big logo and some writing on the left shoulder at the back. If they didn't put that there I might be a bit keener, but that's what really puts me off with them. As others have said, brands which have tons of logos or writing on their clothes tend to put me off.

THM

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    I've been pottering into Jack Wills quite a bit of late and I'm hugely impressed. Everyone seems to have gotten over their A&F, Hollister, Jack Wills love explosion so the brand has become somewhat more acceptable to me, They have some really, really great stuff in their. I particularly like their blazers, knitwear, coloured cords and a mustard colour duffle coat that I want want want.

I generally try to avoid buying a lot from Topman simply because every other bugger will be wearing it; but I wouldn't say avoid it. Otherwise, pretty much the same as the above.
    Jack Wills is still as common as muck in Bath - at least it was last time I went there a few months back. Every other person has their JW rugby shirt on (underneath their gilet) with their collar flipped up.

Fashionisto
    Yep the whole world and his brother seem to have a windcheater jacket I agree.

I guess I'm a little defensive of Superdry because everything I've bought from there has been good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    Just to pick up on G-Star, I agree with the comments above.

The branding is just too over the top, and in your face. Unfortunately, anything that goes into USC (for the most part) is chav wear.

They could easily tone it down, and drop the branding - maybe even add a separate division, which uses the same materials, but styled slightly differently. I actually really like their denim..
    G-Star Correct Line is you

Trend Setter
    River Island (saying that as someone who loves Topman)

Tacky, T-Shirts with skulls on, overly blingy, watered down version of Topman.

Trend Setter
    Surprised the focus is on what the brands mean to people rather than poor experiences with brands.

For me, I avoid Hugo Boss because I have bought some expensive pieces and the quality has been terrible.

Likewise, I find the quality of H&M awful for many items. In summer, folks round here were raving about a blue doubled breasted jacket from H&M, I went to look at it and it was so cheap looking I couldn't believe it, the material, the stitching, the buttons. I lost a lot of respect for people on this board after that.

I also avoid Zara, the build quality again is pretty grim, despite some nice designs, shame really.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Fashionisto
    With regards to the focus on what brands mean to people I'm quite the opposite Electroross. Being on this forum I’m sure you are aware that fashion is a very personal thing. For those who are interested in fashion or care about how they dress, what you wear has the ability to reflect who you are or aspire to be and bring confidence. Therefore it makes sense that people would gravitate to brands that they have an affinity with and steer clear of those which represent the image they detest.

Poor quality will definitely drive you away from a brand, but I'd still wear a poorly made Hugo Boss item than an Ed Hardy item if they were my two options!!

+ Reply to Thread