FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3

Trend Setter
    I share many of the distastes already outlined above (Superdry, G-Star etc). Also agree re H&M quality, whenever I see something in a magazine, like the recent GQ supplement, I feel tempted, but then I go on the shop and the quality is dreadful! Similarly I am trying to stay away from Topman more. However, I have bought the odd thing from the River Island website which I thought was OK, and better than Topman quality, cords and chino's for example, whereas normally I would have to replace the cheap white ones on TM chino's RI ones seem OK. Having said this, I always have to get it from the website because if I wonder into the shop it is full of the tacky crap mentioned above. I agree that it is a shame that Zara's quality is so bad, I've discussed the quality of the double monk's I tried on there on a different thread, and I am def glad that I am saving for some Meermin monks. I bought some cords there in the sale at the end of last winter, and although the fit/colours are nice, the stitching on the back pockets has come undone and they have generally not worn/washed well.

Fashionisto
    Changing the direction slightly but what are people's opinions of NEXT? (please don't take the mock-layer garms into consideration) I've recently bought three pairs of slim fit chinos from them in a variety of colours (yellow, burgundy and green) and they've exceeded my expectations. They also have some decent knitwear up on their website which I'm thinking of buying, all rather reasonable as well.

THM

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekwal View Post
    Changing the direction slightly but what are people's opinions of NEXT? (please don't take the mock-layer garms into consideration) I've recently bought three pairs of slim fit chinos from them in a variety of colours (yellow, burgundy and green) and they've exceeded my expectations. They also have some decent knitwear up on their website which I'm thinking of buying, all rather reasonable as well.
    I use Next for work shirts mainly and for that, they're pretty good as they offer a decent range of fits and colours. However, I made the mistake of buying a next jacket last winter and it's very poor - It's not very warm and the inside of one arm has detached, meaning that one of the elastic cuff pieces sticks out and looks silly. It's made me appreciate decent jackets a lot more.

Fashionisto
    I like Next, always pretty solid as long as you avoid the more mediocre stuff they serve up.

I bought a pair of slim chinos in a rusty colour. Very good and excellent value at 20.

Fashionisto
    I've had mainly different experiences to others here in regards to the likes of H&M, Topman, River Island and Zara, but my purchases from each have covered too few different items for me to feel I can say whether to avoid them or not.

I would agree on avoiding brands that have excessive logos on their items, and it's nice to see there's a similar consensus here.

Quote Originally Posted by electroRoss View Post
    Surprised the focus is on what the brands mean to people rather than poor experiences with brands.

For me, I avoid Hugo Boss because I have bought some expensive pieces and the quality has been terrible.

Likewise, I find the quality of H&M awful for many items. In summer, folks round here were raving about a blue doubled breasted jacket from H&M, I went to look at it and it was so cheap looking I couldn't believe it, the material, the stitching, the buttons. I lost a lot of respect for people on this board after that.

I also avoid Zara, the build quality again is pretty grim, despite some nice designs, shame really.

I have always found Zara to be good. Have a tweed jacket that has stood up to 4 years of decent wear from it. but agree with Boss. I avoid their shops. Can't recall ever buying anything that lasts as the quality (relative to price paid) is pretty poor.

I am a big fan of Reiss, and own 2 suits which I've had for a couple of years now, but a couple of more recent buys have left me wondering about their quality. Hoping its just an unlucky purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Seekwal View Post

I went through a long stage of avoiding them, as I thought their style was a bit dull (and they did over kill on mock-layer !!), but have to say that recently they seemed to have upped their game, and they have some nice stuff in now-a-days. In terms of quality, I have never had much of an issue.

relatively speaking, they do quality garments, that last and wash well. IMO anyway.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    My personal problem with G-star is that they seem to have branding all over them, and a lot of the jeans I've seen out on the streets seem to have their logo all over their back pockets which I personally can't stand. As well as this, in the area I'm from they are heavily affiliated with a certain type of teenager who dresses in head to toe "high street designer" clothes. It might be a bit snobbish but in all honesty I don't want to be affiliated with these people in any way.

I'm sure they have some decent products, ones with less branding.

I'm used to be very picky with what brands I would wear, but now I'm more open so long as they haven't got large logo's dotted around the garment I may be interested in.
    I can understand that. I'm not a big fan of branding. Even a little icon is enough to drive me away from a piece, which is why I usually avoid Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Lacoste.

FashionBeans Staff

I find this level of branding to be both quite fantastic and a touch over the top.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post

I find this level of branding to be both quite fantastic and a touch over the top.
    It's times like this that I really miss the "Like" button. Whatever happened to that?

+ Reply to Thread