FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Friends Buying The Same Clothes As You

I have a couple of friends who have bought the same clothes as me after I have bought them.

I don't think it's intentional / acknowledged, but I find it really irks me - the thought of being seen with someone wearing the same item as me is totally cringe-worthy.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I stop wearing the items in question if I am likely to see that person? Or should I wear it every time I am going to see them and be all like "I had it first, dickhead!"?

Please let me know.

FashionBeans Staff
    Just don't wear them if you're going to be seeing the people in question. This happens regularly with a couple of my friends, one says he wants to buy something and the other goes out and buys it the next day, it's happened on at least two occasions now.

I walked past someone in the street who was wearing thread for thread, pretty much the same stuff as me, we both acknowledged each other, stared at the ground and walked away from each other as swiftly as possible.

You have to accept that there will probably be someone else in the world who has also bought your clothes, just avoid situations where you might end up wearing the same thing.

Nat

Style Icon
    I can understand it irking you Pins, but as the saying goes, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. They obviously appreciate your style, even on an unconsious level.

Personally I wouldn't stop wearing anything if I had bought it first, especially if I really liked it, though I wouldn't deliberately put it on if I was seeing that person either. In the unlikely event we did end up wearing the same thing, I would probably go for the "I had this first, dickhead!" option...

Style Icon
    This phenomenon is one which has stopped me buying my clothes exlusively at highstreet stores, especially Topman where, if you buy anything remotely distinctive, every other guy in my lecture all will be wearing it by next week. I tend to frequent TK Maxx and vintage stores alot more these days, as its very unlikely guys with only a casual interest in fashion will unearth the same finds that I do.

That said, who would want to wear some of the ghastly stuff the highstreet is vomitting up at the moment? So over Aztec print...
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Something similar happened to me recently when a close friend bought a jumper from H&M. I liked it and when I see it online, I was keen on buying it but then stopped and thought, naa I can't do that....

I'm quite lucky because I have quite a diverse group of friends who are all different shapes and sizes. Theres a few that follow the old highstreet trends but theres the others who don't really care what they look like and would rather spend their money on beer. Having taken an interest in fashion and learnt so much in the last few years, I'm completey different to the others and I'm happy for it to remain like that, I don't want to be wearing the same clothes and brands as my best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Santino View Post
    Something similar happened to me recently when a close friend bought a jumper from H&M. I liked it and when I see it online, I was keen on buying it but then stopped and thought, naa I can't do that....

I'm quite lucky because I have quite a diverse group of friends who are all different shapes and sizes. Theres a few that follow the old highstreet trends but theres the others who don't really care what they look like and would rather spend their money on beer. Having taken an interest in fashion and learnt so much in the last few years, I'm completey different to the others and I'm happy for it to remain like that, I don't want to be wearing the same clothes and brands as my best friends.
    Yeah that was the same for me tbh, then a couple of mates started making money, seeing different chicks and stuff, and started leaning towards the All Saints / Reiss wardrobe pretty heavily, which had previously been my domain.

I think part of the problem with All Saints in particular is that a lot of stuff is so similar; it's hard to look different to the next guy if you both shop there heavily.

J8x

Trend Setter
    This happens from time to time with my friends. We don't actively seek out buying the same clothes but being all similar people we tend to shop in the same places. Recently I've not been spending too much in high street stores in an attempt to be more individual and to not share the same looks with my friends and others but I'm a fan of understated and muted outfits so it's hard not to blend in.

I have been out with friends and worn the same pair of jeans as a mate and don't think that's a big problem as they're not really a key standout piece but I've known friends having to change shirts last minute on a night out because we met up and they had the same shirt and similar jeans on.

It's natural that in your social group people are going to find the same things appealing, as long as they aren't purposefully buying things straight after you are then it's fine. Just make sure you send out warning shots when you are eyeing up a nice piece that you don't want them to buy, or hope that they don't see it themselves.

Yes, even i hate this, it is just because when you buy some clothes you want to look different from others. But if anyone buying the stuff it make us irritate and more frustrate.

Tom

Trend Setter
    It's times like this that being an awkward, anti-normal bugger like me pays off!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    Yeah that was the same for me tbh, then a couple of mates started making money, seeing different chicks and stuff, and started leaning towards the All Saints / Reiss wardrobe pretty heavily, which had previously been my domain.

I think part of the problem with All Saints in particular is that a lot of stuff is so similar; it's hard to look different to the next guy if you both shop there heavily.
    Most of my friends have never even heard of All Saints let alone Reiss...

I just think when you're not really concious and don't really care when it comes to fashion you stick to the highstreet shops like Topman, Burton and River Island because they are there. Thats why there are so many fellas walking around who look exactly the same.

Does make me laugh when I'm on the night out and I see a lad who looks like hes just finished auditioning as a Topman model.

+ Reply to Thread