FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Help With My Outfit

Hello, I've just started reading fashionbeans since about 3 weeks ago and already it's helped so much! Essentially my "problem" is that it's my 21st next Monday and I thought I'd dress slightly smart for when we all go out, my idea so far is a white oxford shirt, sleeves up, alongside my grey cardigan.

I own 3 pairs of jeans, all the topman "vintage slim" fit, the colours being a stonewashed grey, indigo and a stonewashed blue. With what I've read, indigo seems to be the best option (thought I may be wrong). My (lack) of footwear is a problem, I own some grey converse, dark blue fred perry canvas and a pair of battered burgundy hi tops.

My question is I don't want to look bland in a white shirt/grey cardigan with indigo jeans, I was thinking a tie, like Mr Allinson says we should start wearing more . What colour/style do you think would be best? I'm also thinking of going out and getting a pair of nice black shoes too. After reading a few articles I've realised I need to branch out into some chinos and a pair of brouges. Also I forgot to mention I do own a pair of smart grey trousers, though I think that could make the outfit too bland.

Just asking on your thoughts, other ideas or improvements, quite looking forward to this night but the outfit's just on my mind a bit... Cheers guys

Here's the link to the cardigan I own: Charcoal Marl Plain Cardigan - Shop All Mens Sale - Sale & Offers - Burton
    And the trousers: Light Grey Slim Trousers - Best Sellers - Clothing - TOPMAN

Tim

Since both items are quite dark and simple, why not spice them up with a bright colored tie? Something in red or blue will look great, but almost anything will go with grey.

As far as the brogues are concerned: get a brown pair. It's up to you to decide if you want them more 'chocolaty' or tan. Black brogues just don't work for me, but that might be a personal thing.

Chinos: well, pick whatever color/style you prefer.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd probably go with a dark red (plain) or grey (plaid) textured or knitted tie. Keep it narrow for casual wear.

Burgundy 5.5cm Knitted square cut Tie | Ties KT1077 BURGUNDY G Knitted Poly Square Cut Thin Tie

or

Grey wool look check tie -

Black brogues are simply hideous. Tan or reddy browns work well with grey especially.

Fashionisto
    Thanks guys, awesome help! I got myself a white oxford today, looked quite nice with my cardigan. I think I'm going to invest in a thin dark red tie, I was browsing for some today.

As for the brogues issue, I didn't mean for the outfit, I simply meant I need to get some in general, as I do with chinos.

For this outfit I'm thinking black loafers, or would this be wrong? I went into Topman and River Island today (none other shops like H&M, Burton etc. had a pair I liked), yet none fitted, I think I'm a 10 and a half size foot, would you recommend anywhere that does good shoes in half sizes?

Thanks again for your feedback guys!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by andydonaldson6 View Post
    Thanks guys, awesome help! I got myself a white oxford today, looked quite nice with my cardigan. I think I'm going to invest in a thin dark red tie, I was browsing for some today.

As for the brogues issue, I didn't mean for the outfit, I simply meant I need to get some in general, as I do with chinos.

For this outfit I'm thinking black loafers, or would this be wrong? I went into Topman and River Island today (none other shops like H&M, Burton etc. had a pair I liked), yet none fitted, I think I'm a 10 and a half size foot, would you recommend anywhere that does good shoes in half sizes?

Thanks again for your feedback guys!
    If you want black loafers, go for black loafers. As long as the colors match, there's generally no wrong or right.

Colors like black and grey will work with pretty much any color, so go ahead and experiment.

(Oh yeah, don't combine black and navy though - looks very, very bad)

Trend Setter
    I personally wouldn't choose black shoes to wear with a predominantly grey outfit, just like it's a fashion no-no to wear black shoes with a grey suit. Oxblood or red shoes would go nicely, what's your maximum budget for shoes? I found these shoes on Asos, I don't know what you think of them but they'd go well with the tie as long as it was the same shade of red:

ASOS | ASOS Leather Sole Suede Brogues at ASOS

Fashionisto
    Hey guys. After a bit of thinking about the situation, I've opted for the white oxford shirt, alongside my cardigan, with some dark red/burgundy chinos (that I've just bought - welcome to the world of chinos!). Gonna wear my grey converse and I think, I think I'm planning on wearing a very cheeky dark red bow tie. If not it's looking likely that I'll purchase this nice dark red/white striped tie I saw in Topman (that I can't seem to find on the website).

Again, thanks for all the help guys, dark red was a shout and a half!

+ Reply to Thread