FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

First Leather Jacket Purchase

So I've finally decided to take the plunge and get my first proper and real leather jacket, since my old faux leather one isn't really cutting it any more. Besides I need a new transitional jacket anyways.

With a tight student budget (max 200), I've browsed around and I seem to be attracted more towards the biker and bomber styles, however, the more minimalistic, the better.

I've come to a choice between these pieces:

Selected | Selected Panelled Leather Jacket at ASOS Classic Black Bomber Jacket-can't go wrong with this one, however only thing I dislike about it is it's collar-if it had a varsity collar like this one Selected | Selected Baseball Leather Jacket at ASOS it could have been perfect. (Sadly the pockets on the latter just don't look right IMO)

ASOS | ASOS Leather Biker Jacket at ASOS

This is the only Biker Jacket I liked, but my only 'issue' with it is that it's brown. I can't really decide if this is better than the classic black leather jacket that has become a bastion of mens fashion since the dawn of time. Is black the way to go or is brown more versatile? (Keep in mind that this will become my only go to leather jacket for now)

Thoughts?

The biker one is the nicest by a mile, and I like the colour and the wear patterns on it. V.good price too.

I think the brown is a good versatile colour and it takes away from the cliche of the biker jacket look. It comes down to what you're going to be rocking it with though.

Trend Setter
    Yeah basically T-shirts( basic crew and V necks), polo shirts, shirts (oxford and checked), and jumpers, with dark denim, chinos, brogue boots and trainers...pretty standard stuff.

Another question that has popped up is that do these different styles of jacket cater to different styles/people? For example I'm more likely to associate a black leather biker jacket with someone who's deep into the rockability trend, than for a preppy look. My style in particular pretty much falls into the casual/smart-casual bracket, so I guess both styles could work for my current wardrobe...

Sam

Style Icon
    All look fine to me. And I wouldn't worry too much about colour; they're both foolproof options. So, it's personal preference.
    The most important thing is fit; ideally you need to try it on. If it doesn't fit, return it and try a different jacket or a different size, assuming you're able to.

+ Reply to Thread