FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

I have had one pair of jeans where a button fell off and they gave me a refund in store with no hassle. Apart from that, I've had no issues with quality.

They make very fine knitwear and t-shirts; this delicate quality is what makes the items so nice, but naturally they are not going to hold up as well as thicker gauge knits and cottons. I think the wear that develops is part of the look.

One thing that has annoyed me is the sales this year - they have regurgitated stock from previous seasons in-store, and not reduced much of the classic stuff from this season. I can see their thinking though, it's a bit like Apple; why reduce something that sells anyway? The staple items are such a solid look; I think we are going to see more stuff like the cigarette jeans mentioned above, where the key items are going to increase in price and not go in the sales. I bought those jeans for 65. They are now 95!

On the flip side though, it's nice when stuff you buy doesn't get reduced. For it to go up is simply amazing!

The sales strategy from previous seasons has definitely devalued the brand. I can see why they have taken the route they have. Sadly, it probably means no more Sandringham polos and Tonic crews in TK Maxx, and the end of outrageous bargains at sale time.

Style Icon
    As Pins points out, I'm shocked by the fact that so much stuff has sold even before they introduced further reductions. There's quite a few pieces I'd happily pick up if they do that extra 25% off thing they do. Looks like I won't even have the option!

They're getting dead cheeky with their prices. I'd happily pay 65 for a good quality, well fitted pair of jeans, but 95? For exactly the same garment?

Looks to me like a brand who've been straddling the highstreet/designer line for a while and want to start associating themselves with the latter more.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    As someopne that used to have a wardrobe chock full of AS gear I for one can say the quality (IMO) has reduced slightly and the sizing issue is still as annoying as ever.

Ther service I have had has always been great, I bought the Iggy cords when they were new and the main button fell off; I returned them to be told that this had been identified as fault and was offered a full refund or a new pair which incidentally had a leather circle around the inside of the button to stop it pulling through\bursting,.

I wasn't aware that the brand was struggling... The Glasgow and Edinburgh stores always have lots of stock and the Sale looked good (at a glance).

The most recently purchased pair of jeans don't seem as good quality as the older pairs I have, this is mainly down to the stitching. The new pair has quite a lot of loose threads etc.

I have had lots of pairs of trainers and they never lasted more than a summer but the shoes\boots that I have are bullet proof.

The pricing is getting beyond a joke so I have started shopping elsewhere. I used to buy their jeans regularly when they were 65 ish but they are now knocking on 100 so I look elsewhere.

Trend Setter
    I've had a bunch of things from there over the years.. shirts, knits, jeans, shorts..

My Peacoat is by far the best piece I've bought.. having said that, I got it for 95 - around 180 cheaper than when it first came out. There is NO way I would ever pay full price for AllSaints, ever

I have a bunch of cropped sweat shorts, which I bought in the same for anything between 25-35.. i just wear them at home, but they've all fallen to bits. Holes randomly appearing, loose stitching/finish.. bear in mind these were priced at up to 70

I've had belt loops and belt patches fray on jeans also, and the sizes of all garments are consistently inconsistent

Fashionisto
    My other main gripe with AllSaints apart from the sizes and yes it's something thats completey out of their control, is the the fact that every other Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it.

Can just confirm I've lost the top buttong on Tomline Peacoat on FIRTS trip out in it. It will be going back.

As a couple of people have already explained on here, All Saints were in big financial trouble for a while. To the best of my knowledge the company was sold on to another company so some of the changes that have been evident in the brand over the last 2 years could be a result of that or just simple recession proofing.

Having worked for All Saints myself up to 2009, early last year, possibly even before that I noticed big changes in the brand. For one they have somewhat shifted away from their rugged worn out look to something a little bit more refined and grown up. I read somewhere that their design team reckon the brands customer has grown up and so has their style. Gone are the highly engineered boots and knits and in its place are cheaper quality ankle boots and stable pieces. What All Saints have done is clever because they have reduced the quality of materials and simplified its designs, but they have worked this into the look of their new collections so very few people bar maybe its core customers would notice.

I personally dont really like All Sainrs new direction. I still buy bits and pieces from there but generally I will vere towards The Kooples now who are makong nicer quality items with All Saints slipping into somewhat of a commercial safe hole to stay a float. A lot of people will buy into their more grown up, safer look but where it might be on trend, I'm all about the quality and the second they started using cheaper leather in their shoes, rubber soles and lesser quality denim and fabrics I moved onto The Kooples.

Trend Setter
    Interesting post.

I absolutely love the Kooples but would never have thought it to be an All Saints competitor. I've always found the Kooples to be higher end than All Saints and much more refined (English Dandy meets French je ne sais quoi) whereas All Saints, to me, is more industrial, grungy and muted. The two looks are completely different I'd say.

I buy bits from All Saints but only classic items (Pea Coat, fine knits, selvedge denim etc.) but would never go for any of their distressed stuff.

J8x

Trend Setter
    If only I could own as much from The Kooples as I do from Allsaints. I think they're comparable, though with The Kooples being a bit more upmarket, holding higher prestige and quality with price tags to match. Spotted a lovely suit there few weeks back, now who's going to donate me the 600?

To stay on topic somewhat, the Brut Cigarette that I picked up in the sale seem like a sound investment though I'm wary of a few very slight finishing errors, with little red selvage threads being visible where they shouldn't. Very minor issue though, and I'm sure the pair will last me a good few years until I wash them.

+ Reply to Thread