FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Armpit Stains on Shirts

So the majority of my shirts are slim-fit or fully fitted TM Lewin shirts and I have worn them a good few times.
    But I am still pretty annoyed by how dark the armpit stains have become, especially on the white ones which are now unwearable.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem or if there are any company that somehow produce shirts that don't turn brown under the armpit??

And before you ask, yes I wear anti-perspirant
    Last edited by K9MT; 08-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Fashionisto
    I'm having exactly the same problem! I tried getting them dry cleaned but that didn't work, so I I have bought a spray on stain remover from the supermarket which I will try this week. I'll keep you posted!

FashionBeans Staff
    Using stain remover generally helps to remove the worst of the stains. I've used Vanish oxy action foam spray before and it seems to do a bit, you have to scrub quite hard though. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do, unless you buy much softer anti perspirant which then doesn't really do much to help you stop sweating.

As a man prone to sweating more than the usual chap, on whom anti perspirants don't really work, at all, I've just come to accept that I'll have to buy more tees and shirts once it gets too bad.

Trend Setter
    I've not actually got around to trying this yet, though I have bought the stuff they recommend, but take a look here:

How to Remove Yellow Armpit Stains | The Art of Manliness

Can't help with the stains but a possible preventative measure...

I used to wear generic men's anti-perspirant and it basically didn't work at all.

Then my gf suggested I try her roll-on, I think it's called Mitchum or something, and it stopped me sweating completely.

So maybe try that guys?

Fashionisto
    Well I washed my shirts last night afetr giving a good spray with Vanish oxy action foam spray and the stains have definitely become less visable. The shirts are't prestine, but certainly good enough to keep using for a few more months. Given all shirts are over 12 months old I'd say this is a pretty good result.

Fashionisto
    When it comes to white business shirts, I tend to purchase a few every six months so that I can rotate them and get more wear out of them before I start to run into problems like dealing with armpit stains. However, it's handy to remember to try Vanish oxy action, thanks for the tip @Mattyg.

Driclor

Use Driclor....seriously. Stops you sweating all together for weeks at a time.
    I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

+ Reply to Thread