FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Style Icon
    Get the double-breasted. The worst that can happen is you have to get the waist nipped in (which is standard practice in my experience of DB)

Plus that suit jacket would make a KILLER seperate.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm not entirely sure how work appropriate the DB suit is, the colour is much lighter and more mottled in person and it just smacks more of an occasion suit to me. The T.M Lewin one works well because the pattern is muted by the colour.

Trend Setter
    I like double breasted suits. I'm not wholly convinced by that Reiss one, however.

My main issue - and itmay not concern you at all- is the single vent. Double breasted suits almost always come with double vents and for good reason. Single breasted jackets can be left open, if you want, and even if closed the skirt can be pushed to one side. You don't have that option with a double breasted suit. If you want to put your hand in your pocket it is much easier with double rather than single vents. Similarly, if you want to sit down without unbuttoning your jacket (you might occasionally as doing and undoing the inner button on a double breasted can become a pain if you are doing it all the time) double vents allow you to do that without looking awkward.

I'd definitely want to try it on and see how the jacket moved with just one vent before I considered buying it.

Also for me this depends on how many suits you already own. If you already have a couple of two buttons in staple colours then the DB seems more appropriate. But if this is your first, then perhaps not.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've ordered the Double Breasted and will see how it is. If its no good I can easily return it and get the TM Lewin one (Reiss do refunds for online stuff).

I already own two navy suits, one grey and two black (all single breasted) so I fancy a change with the DB one.

You could argue the TM Lewin checked suit is also different to what I have but I have less shirts that will match it. Most of my shirts are striped so would clash with the checked suit.

Will keep you posted!

Trend Setter
    Ok, the suit came (quick delivery!) and its awesome.

The colour is almost like a French blue with a tiny, ever so subtle, flecked style.

I was of the assumption that the jacket would need taking in but it is very fitted (not overly so) and needs no adjusting.

The trousers are slim fitting and just the right kind of fit I like. As someone who prefers "skinny" as a fit I did wonder if they wouldnt be slim enough but they are. Not sure what some of the other posters were referring to about the cut of Reiss suits - I think its cut lovely.

Nat

Style Icon
    Textbook, that's a really nice suit, and good value. Do you mind if I ask a bit more detail about the fit? How much does it taper in at the waist? I have a 42" chest and a 32" waist, so I often have stuff that is either too small at the shoulers, or too boxy round thew waist. Are your dimensions anything like this? I know I could get it altered, but always good if something fits off the peg.

Cheers pal.

Trend Setter
    I'm a 38" chest and 32" waist. The jacket is quite fitted - especially for a double breasted - and is quite fitted around the waist.

I was actually worried about it not being fitted enough based on comments here and the fact it's a DB but its fairly snug (which I like).

The problem with Reiss suits is you cant buy seperates - i.e. 38 jacket is paired with a 32 waist. A 42 jacket would be paired with a 36.

Not really sure what to suggest based on your measurements - I guess its going to difficult to get the sizes to work unfortunately.

Nat

Style Icon
    Argh, that is HOPELESS!! Do all their customers have exactly the same 6" difference between their chest and waist?! Terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Argh, that is HOPELESS!! Do all their customers have exactly the same 6" difference between their chest and waist?! Terrible...
    Yeah to be fair this is a really annoying thing that I and a few of my friends have come across with Reiss. Not a lot we can do (AFAIK) but it sucks.

+ Reply to Thread