FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Going to the races!

Hey guys it's birthday month and that means the races (not something I've done before), which I'm quite looking forward to, though not as much as dressing for it! I've seen the article on here about the races and how a tweed suit would be a smart call, problem is I don't own any tweed and can't see myself being the tweedy type.

Simply curious about what everyone would wear to the races, whether you're a regular or have never been before?

My outfit is looking likely to be a blue/navy blazer, a smart shit, either smart wool grey trousers or chinos and finally my super duper burgundy knitted bow tie. This is to say if I can grab myself a nice blazer - January sales, the joys of having a birthday in January...

J8x

Trend Setter
    Last time I went I wore a grey wool blazer, plain sky blue shirt, navy smart chinos and a pair of brown suede brogues (which was a big mistake, should have gone with leather). I felt slightly under dressed at times but there were a lot of ill fitting office style suits around so I rested easy knowing that at least I didn't look like I'd borrowed my dads suit. Previous times I've always been fully suited up smart. I would advise you can't really go wrong with a classic slim cut suit, though wearing two singles can work if done right for a bit more of a laid back look. What you said sounds pretty sweet (apart from the smart shit), have a good time man.

Fashionisto
    I agree with J8X you don't have to wear tweed to the races if it isn't your style. The key is just to make sure that you don't dress like you're about to head to the office. I like the sound of the outfit you have in mind, the burgundy bow tie sounds like a great statement piece. Alternatively, if you're looking for another idea perhaps consider a smart grey pinstripe suit. Either way have fun!

+ Reply to Thread