FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Who is your style inspiration?

Who do you look to for style inspiration? Is it a friend? Or is it a brand? Or a well-known designer/celebrity?

Style Icon
    Eddie Redmayne. And Johnny Marr from the Smiths.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

There isn't really one person - I take inspiration from all around me.

I wear a lot of different styles but I wouldn't say I conform to any. I appreciate a lot of things but I tend to reinterpret them to fit in to my personal style rather than trying to emulate something else.

I was recently told that I am a law unto myself and can pull anything off. Was happy with that

FashionBeans Staff
    I don't really have style icons either, I'm more of a wear what you see kind of dresser. If I see an item I like or I like an outfit someone is wearing I'll have a good old think if I can fit it into my style.

I've got two quite distinct looks. The first is much more relaxed and could be dubbed, the university look. It doesn't take much work and I can throw it on in the morning but there are certain elements that show a deeper knowledge of style, whether its colours or the little details.

The second is my well dressed man look, much more grown up and considered, the kind of thing I suggest on here.

I find trying to emulate someone else's style a bit weird, you need to find what works for yourself. It's part of style development.

Fashionisto
    Bob Dylan/ John Cusack in High Fidelity. An odd mix but hey, YOLO. I agree with Will though, a lot of my inspiration comes from the street!

Fashionisto
    I've said it on here before, I get more inspiration from people I see on the street than I do celebrities.

It varies so much too, at the moment I'm really liking the Indy look. Skinny jeans, wild hair, tees, overshirts, leathers etc whereas I've got plenty if what I'd call "smart" clothes to throw together a sophisticated outfit.

Fashionisto
    I agree with the rest of you, the inspiration for my personal style comes from outfits I see on the street, not celebrities or fashion magazines. However in saying that I'm one of those people who either instantly likes a piece or clothing or I don't. So many of the clothes I buy, I choose just because I was drawn to them. I also like looking at international brands and shops online for inspiration.

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CentralParkMan View Post
    I agree with the rest of you, the inspiration for my personal style comes from outfits I see on the street, not celebrities or fashion magazines. However in saying that I'm one of those people who either instantly likes a piece or clothing or I don't. So many of the clothes I buy, I choose just because I was drawn to them. I also like looking at international brands and shops online for inspiration.
    I also tend to buy things because I'm drawn to them, obviously I only buy things I need, but once I've decided I need a shirt or t-shirt or jumper etc I'll will go with the one that catches my attention; gut instinct shopping as it were.

It's proved very successful so far.

Yeah I also buy stuff that I am drawn to on impulse, it often boils down to how much I like the item as a standalone piece of design. I do often buy stuff I don't really need though - need to stop that.

I am also quite influenced by lookbooks and street style photography, although the latter can often be very contrived.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I am also quite influenced by lookbooks and street style photography, although the latter can often be very contrived.
    VERY contrived. I often look at those guys and I think to myself "Do they actually look cool?" and "Would I wear an outfit like that?" and the answer 99% of the time is no.

+ Reply to Thread