FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Another Suit Opinion Thread: Holland Esquire vs Reiss

Following on from my last suit thread (and thanks to everyone who contributed - your opinions were really valuable, hence why I am posting again), I'm thinking that one final suit purchase is in order (taking my total to 3 during the sales).

There are two I have spotted and I'm really in two minds:

The first is a double breasted grey pin stripe in Reiss, reduced from 450 to 135:

Harvest Grey Double Breasted Pinstripe Suit - REISS

Pro's: I like the pocket detail and 1920's styling I think the suit is very smart. The price is also a steal.
    Cons: Its another double breasted (not sure if I want two in my wardrobe) and unsure if its a slim fit (my other Reiss DB is)

The second is a brown suit from Holland Esquire reduced from 395 to 175:

Holland Esquire | Tailored Suits | Fine English Tailoring

Pro's: I dont own a brown suit so it would be a nice addition or a Holland Esquire suit. Good reduction and slim fitting.
    Con's: I'm not sure if its as striking as the Reiss suit, although the detailing may be more aparent in person

As last time, thoughts and comments most welcome!

Fashionisto
    I actually like both of the suits you posted, you have a tough choice to make! If you don't already own a grey pinstripe suit then perhaps go for the Reiss as grey pinstripe suits are a classic and are suitable for so many events.

If you already own a few then perhaps branch out and get the brown Holland Esquire suit. I think it would be striking in person as I've seen men wearing slim fit brown suits at the races and they looked really stylish and stood out. You can also have fun accessorizing a brown suit with vintage accesories.

Either way you can't go wrong as both of the suits you posted are great choices.

Style Icon
    I'd go for the Reiss personally, and I wouldn't worry about the sizing - they tend to be pretty consistent cutwise.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the opinions - decided to go for the Holland Esquire brown suit. The DB is nice but I think I'll get more wear from the brown one.

Jay

Style Icon
    I have a blue Holland Esquire (same cut but as a three piece). It's a decent suit and a more contemporary cut than Reiss suits tend to be, but I'm always slightly disappointed that the detailing and quality isn't quite the standard of their rather excellent blazers. The material feels a touch thin too (but then I paid 150 at their warehouse sale so can't complain).

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the reassurance ;-) I only paid 175 so cant complain either. Will see what its like when it arrives.

Fashionisto
    Everything about Holland Esquire seems a bit thin tbh. The designs are always good though.

Trend Setter
    An update here:

The suit came yesterday and I'm afraid to say all the comments about it being of a thin construction are true (and surprisingly so).

It could almost be described as flimsy and certainly not in keeping with their reputation for quality.

Apart from that, however, the fit is awful. Its too tight when fastened (it pulls either side of the button to create two indent lines and the back is pulling) and I like my suits slim/skinny fitting so I'm not exagerating.

At the same time, the shoulders were fine so if I went up a size to compensate for the body being too small they would be too big.

The trousers are very tight on the waist (too much so) but not remotely "slim fitting" (as advertised) on the legs. If I went up a size here on the waist, the trousers would almost be baggy.

The general fit is all over the place so I have returned it today. The downside is with Holland Esquire that customers must cover this so its cost me 10 to try a suit on.

I'm now thinking of moving on to the Reiss suit but am open minded on any other quality suits in the final days of the sale that are less than 200 if anyone has seen any. Flexible on colour and style.

+ Reply to Thread