FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Personal Stylists?

Hi Guys, sorry if this question has been asked a lot before, but do you think that personal stylists are worth the cost?

A bit about me - I wouldn't say that I'm clueless about fashion, i.e. I don't think I make obvious mistakes, but I've also never really thought too much about my look until now. I'm trying to become a more confident person, and noticed that looking good has an undeniable effect on how you feel about yourself.

I think my problem is that I'm not very adventurous with what I wear, in terms of colours or anything unique which stands out. And I think I need some one to push me to try out the things I wouldn't normally pick up. But in a way that will work, and match my personality.

Also the cost seems quite steep, this place has good reviews but is 100 per hour - My London Stylist, that on top of actually buying things gets quite expensive?

Has anyone got any experience of stylists, or can recommend a good one for men?

Thanks

Fashionisto
    I'm not a fan of personal stylists. I've had friends who've used them and they come out of their meeting with their stylist looking tacky and having wasted hundreds of dollars. In my opinion you should only use a stylist if you trust their sense of style, make sure to see some photographs of outfits they've already styled before booking their services. Alternatively just look at style blogs and forums for inspiration like I do ha ha.

FashionBeans Staff
    Topman have a personal stylist service which I believe is free, that might be worth a look, just to get a taste of the kind of thing a meeting might incorporate.

Style Icon
    Department stores in the cities sometimes have "free" personal stylists, but it's sort of between-the-lines that you're expected to spend a larger amount of money buying what they suggest. I'd much rather use this kind of service though, than pay a personal stylist separately.

I've not tried any stylist service yet, but I'm planning to give my wife one for our next wedding day. Those I've looked at suggest a budget of 700-1000 to spend on the suggested garments. Mind you, as I'm in Sweden the services I've looked at is in Stockholm, but shopping prices are pretty similar in Stockholm and London.

J_men, get an artistic friend who has style sense to give you some pointers. If you're hetero, make it a female. Meet for some consultations, discuss your goals and your potential, then set a day and go shopping. Prepare to try new things. Try out EVERYTHING she suggests . . .

For example, I did this and I learned the power of teal. It looks fantastic with my eyes and skin tone, but I never would have figured this out on my own. Now I have a dress shirt that color plus several other pieces (solids and patterns).

Another thing she said to me: what's with all these neutrals? I want to see you in colors! I wear quite a bit of color now and regularly get looks and compliments. Do you know how good that feels? (Some of us do . . . )

+ Reply to Thread