FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Tapered/Carrot Fit Wool Trousers, Too Young Looking?

Hi. I just nipped to the sales at COS over my lunch back and saw what on the hanger at least appeared to be the exact kind of grey flannel wool type pleated trousers I have been after for a while. They are very tapered however, to the point that they are really quite snug around my calves. I am of a stocky build, including my legs. Are these the kind of trousers that simply just look better on skinny guys, and at 27 years of age are they perhaps a little young looking? They're a carrot fit and not a drop crotch, but still. What I do like about them is that as they taper they sit better on your shoes and leave them exposed in all their glory, but really in a pickle on this one. Can anyone recommend where to get some similar trousers that aren't quite so fashion forward with a bit more of a straight forward slim as opposed to Topman skinny fit? Much obliged.

Trend Setter
    I've found Asos pretty good for trousers and chinos, have you checked there? I personally like Topman's trousers, but I agree that they are quite tight fitting.

I say go for the tapered fit! 27 isn't even old.

Your comment is spot on about how tapered trousers sit with shoes/boots- looks so much better.

I have been known to get trousers tapered to extreme levels at the tailors, and I'm 30

The taper will also elongate your legs and make you look slimmer

FashionBeans Staff
    I've been eyeing those trousers in COS, I'd go for it as long as the Carrot isn't too pronounced, I think the only fit that should stop at a certain age is skin tight trousers.

Thanks guys, much appreciated! They are very cool. One of my new year's resolutions is to get back to being a touch more adventurous with my styling choices in terms of cut, texture, colour and the like. I'd gone a bit too far with overhauling my wardrobe and was starting to dress a bit too beyond my years perhaps, so in short I think I'm going to go for it. Just hope they're still there today.

Nat

Style Icon
    Drew - not too young looking. Just too wrong looking. Carrot fit trousers make me angry. A nice slim fitting straight leg trousers would look great, would allow your shoes to pop, and won't make you groan with embarrassment at the photo in 5 year's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Drew - not too young looking. Just too wrong looking. Carrot fit trousers make me angry. A nice slim fitting straight leg trousers would look great, would allow your shoes to pop, and won't make you groan with embarrassment at the photo in 5 year's time.
    You are confused about what carrot fit means

Nat

Style Icon
    Am I?!?

Something loose fitting at the top, which tapers down to be slim fitting at the ankle? Something like...

Purchased. Think I made the right choice. Just hoping for the old reassuring compliment or two when I premiere them for a mate's birthday on Friday.

While those chinos are very tapered, rather than carrot fit I would more immediately refer to those as drop crotch (which I agree are wrong!)

Little tip for those who like tapered trousers/jeans - Levi's 508s have the perfect subtle taper. They sit brilliantly on your shoes/boots while offering comfort around the thighs without slipping remotely into drop crotch/boyband territory. And well, they're Levi's!

Thanks again.

Yep, those have a drop crotch thing going on. Carrot fit is just an emphasized taper afaik.

+ Reply to Thread