FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Vintage Suits and Lapel Width

I have been admiring a few recent suits lately, but the relatively wide lapels on them has out me off. What are peoples opinions on this? Is it just relative given the more recent trend for skinny lapels? I've also noticed that some places, such as Suit Supply for example, have started using much wider lapels on their suits.

Style Icon
    I wouldn't worry about it unless they're huge 70s lapels hat practically reach the shoulder seam. "Classic" lapels look fine, and you're right that some places use wider lapels anyway (e.g. Tom Ford's suits). As long as shirt collar/tie/your build are in proportion then go for it.

Trend Setter
    One of the ones I am looking at is around 3.75" - which seems pretty big to me? I'm a small guy, 5'6" and small build.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/010/0/670...52547_5gjz.jpg

Trend Setter
    That is a large lapel.

Traditionally cut suit lapels extend almost (but not quite) to the centre point between the collar opening and the shoulder. This one clearly goes a bit beyond that.

The question is, how do you feel about it? Big collars are out of fashion now and demand a certain flamboyance but, if you are confident enough to pull it off it could look good. Some fashion designers clearly like them - up until this year Tom Ford stuck with his larger collar lapel 70s inspired look even though most other designers were going thinner. The pendulum is bound to swing back at some point, as you recognise.

Your feelings about a suit and how you feel wearing it are what is important. If I was unsure I'd definitely try it on.

I'm really feeling wide lapels. Defo going to keep my eye out for a vintage blazer.

Obviously it will be casual wear though - dunno about a whole suit, certainly not for formal use.

+ Reply to Thread