FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

What to wear with navy trousers

By coincidence I've found myself with a couple of new pairs of navy trousers in January; one pair of nice slim fit herringbone trousers from Topman and a pair of navy slim jeans from H&M.

Problem is I have no idea what to wear them with. The herringbone are for work wear - I'd normally wear a navy or black v neck but both feel totally wrong with navy for obvious reasons. Is grey the way to go? Are there any other options? Green? What jacket should I pair these with? I have a few black and cream options but none feel quite right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fashionisto
    Grey is doable obviously, and I'd strongly consider burgundy. Green is a difficult one, and I'd keep it to accessories rather than a main item when navy is concerned.

The idea that navy can't be worn with black has been blown out of proportion. I often wear a black leather-look jacket and boots with navy chinos (they're styled like jeans), and I've never had bad comments or weird looks. I suppose you could go for brown leather instead. For other jacket types, grey is probably the best option if you want something you can use as an all-rounder.

Brown, Grey and Burgundy Stay away from Green IMO. A lighter gray would perhaps be better, to add contrast.

Style Icon
    I think a green, v-neck, woolen jumper with a light-coloured shirt underneath looks excellent over navy trousers. I have worn this look a few times and I always get compliments.
    If you think it's too formal, just put a denim jacket over the top. It really does work.

Fashionisto
    Orange would look pretty dope, a lightweight V over a light blue or white shirt?

Camel / cream coloured coats are an obvious match with navy

I was rocking navy chinos with a denim jacket a lot on the summer - it's a solid look

+ Reply to Thread