FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Fashionisto
    It does. I am not feminine , don't wanna be and most guys won't like it. I just think that big, flat and square clutches will look good on me, and will not seem odd to my aware friends.

Trend Setter
    I think regardless if you're gay or not, there's no need to be worried about being questioned over your sexuality simply due to holding a clutch. The clutch I posted earlier isn't exactly a sparkling rectangular shaped one that most women can be seen with at your local Oceana.

Dressed up with the right outfit I think it can compliment the whole look quite well. I think an important thing to remember is that 5 years ago the idea of even wearing a brightly coloured pocket square with socks would be perceived as gay.

The general male public are warming to fashion and grooming.

Maybe it depends on the area you live in, I live in London and I don't think you'd have to worry about being thought of as gay holding a man clutch. And if someones going to judge a persons sexuality based on an accessory, who really cares what they think?

I can kinda see what you mean - it could have a kind of document wallet / portfolio vibe to it.

Obviously it is pushing the boundaries somewhat and it could be perceived in a certain way. Sounds like you move in right circles for it to work though.

Just looked at a few google images and there are some cool looks with them for sure - totally depends on how you rock it.

Probably better with formal looks than any kind of handled bag.

Edit:Just want to clarify that I see it as an issue of masculinity rather than sexuality - idgaf who you bone
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 12-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Fashionisto
    Apart from the image, there are two other problems with a clutch. One, who wants the hassle of carrying something around all the time, remembering where you put it, trying not to drop it in the bog etc. Second, if you put it down for a second, some herbert could make off with your phone, wallet, house keys - all in one quick, profitable move.

On the other hand, the minimum these days is wallet, keys, phone, maybe travelcard, and that causes a lot of bulges.

This is a better kind of mousetrap scenario - whoever finds a solution could make a serious amount of dosh!

Fashionisto
    Normally I'd just carry around a leather tablet case or a leather satchel. Although I never take a bag with me if I'm going to a formal event. I'll just take my wallet and give my girlfriend my keys and any other extras to put in her clutch.

Style Icon
    I almost always carry a shoulder bag with me, even if it's virtually empty. I rotate three or four bags, with different styles to match what I'm wearing.

In winter, when wearing heavy jackets with loads of pockets, the bag is not that essential. But come spring and summer, with lighter clothes, bulging wallets and overlaoded key rings can really ruin your look. What's the point of a nice fitting blazer or jacket, if you're going to ruin the fit by filling the pockets?

I wish the attitude regarding bags for men would change. It's hard to find bags for carrying just the necessities (wallet, keys, phone), that are masculine. I usually end up with a much larger bag than I really need. And there are very few "formal bags" for men.

I wouldn't go for a clutch though, as it will restrict you when on the go. It might work in an office, when running between meetings, but when out on the town, I want both hands free.

FashionBeans Staff
    A document holder or something similar is fine. A lot of the stigma comes from the way you hold it, tuck it under your arm and you're good to go. Fuck what anyone else thinks.

Trend Setter
    "Fuck what anyone else thinks " - seconded!

Outside of a few cities/areas of the UK I think dressing well/being interested in clothes still has a stigma attached to it - whether if be a clutch, a satchel or a tote. You are much less likely to get get looks/comments if you left your house in your pyjamas, an aztec print baby grown or a pair of trackie pants in desperate need of a wash.

+ Reply to Thread