FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    THM

Fashionisto

Suit Dilemna

Found a really nice dark grainy blue suit jacket in the sales today. Stupidly cheap and fits very well.

Problem is, the only matching trousers they had were a 36 inch waist. I'm normally a 32 or 34 - tried another one of their trousers in 32 and they were too small. But matching 36 ones are pretty damn wide on me, to the point that they bunch up with a belt on.

Do you reckon these could be tailored down to look ok? Would different colour trousers work, bearing in mind this is a suit, not a blazer / sports jacket? Or should I abandon the whole idea?

Whadda ya reckon?

Style Icon
    I pair a navy suit jacket with jeans, herringbone trousers and white trousers all the time.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    You could potentially have the 32 let out a bit, but that will depend on how much is there to play with. I took that recently with a very expensive pair of cords that were reduced to 18. They are still a bit tight, but I reckon but wearable, and I reckon I am a few ounts heavier post christmas anyway!

FashionBeans Staff
    Depending on the amount of spare material on the 32 you'd be better to get them taken out rather than the 36 taken in.

Trend Setter
    You could think about wearing them with braces - may be taken in a bit too. Traditionalists will always tell you that trousers drape better with braces and I've tended to find this to be true. What they don't say is that some suit trousers are clearly designed to be worn with a belt these days and the waistband goes funny if worn with braces.

I'd counsel against getting the jacket to wear as a separate myself - unless I really loved the jacket. Most separate jackets and trousers that go with them have a softer finish than the worsted finish on most suits so it can look a little out of place.

Fashionisto
    When I first developed a size awareness, I had some awfully big trousers and my tailor made them really great. I now don't see a difference between these trousers and some correct-fit trousers (which I took to the tailor as well).

I wear 26 (sometimes 28, in GAP for example) and these trousers were 28-31.

THM

Fashionisto
    I should have been clearer, the 32" I tried on were a different colour in the same brand. They were medium to dark grey, which I personally thought looked ok but the girlfriend wasn't convinced.

I have some herringbone trousers (that I love) but wonder if they'd be too informal with the suit jacket. It's quite a smart jacket with a very slight gloss finish, rather than a thick wool blazer or similar.

I don't wear suits or suit jackets often, so I'm not sure how much of it is just where I'm not used to wearing them.

I've dropped a message to a lady I know who does alterations. Hoping to get her opinion on whether she thinks the trousers can be altered to fit ok.

Fashionisto
    Personally I'd let the deal go and keep looking. However, if you have your heart set on getting the suit jacket you could always purchase it and look elsewhere for trousers that fit better. Yes, you could get the 36 inch trousers taken in .. but I wouldn't risk it as there is a chance that they may not look quite right, even after a trip to the tailor.

+ Reply to Thread