FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Problem with "semi- dressing up"

Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster. So, I have a dilemma; Iím having problems "semi- dressing up". I am practically always wearing a jeans/chinos + shirt and cardigan combination. Always wearing a watch and nice clean shoes. How can I dress up, for occasions where ties are too formal? On weekends and evenings Id like to notably having dressed up, but its hard when you usually wear nice clothes.

Any tips or advice?
    - Torjus

When you say shirt do you mean tee shirt?
    I don't know if this would help but in my case I try to dress in a button up and tie of some sort (traditional or bow) untucked with jeans.
    If the weather is right maybe a jacket that is not so formal like a uni-wear work jacket.
    Good luck

A high quality leather jacket would probably add just the right amount of premium edge to elevate your smart casual outfits a couple of notches. I always feel more dressed up in my leathers.

Funny you would mention that, I have actually been looking for a nice leather jacket. I'm also thinking about buying yet another watch for special occasions.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Trend Setter
    Two things will make a big difference for starters:

Add a nice blazer - either in place of the cardigan or if its a fine knit (rather than chunky) you could wear it over it.

Secondly, change your footwear - I tend to keep the likes of desert boots and chelsea boots for "casual wear" and smarter shoes, such as brogues, for more formal occassions.

Mr.BSJames, I wear collared shirts mostly, which makes it even harder. Also, my age being only 18 makes it easy to "over-dress" As you guys have mentioned; nicer "off-duty" germants like shoes and jacket will surely help. Thanks again fellas!

Haha any time

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Textbook View Post
    Two things will make a big difference for starters:

Add a nice blazer - either in place of the cardigan or if its a fine knit (rather than chunky) you could wear it over it.

Secondly, change your footwear - I tend to keep the likes of desert boots and chelsea boots for "casual wear" and smarter shoes, such as brogues, for more formal occassions.
    I second this advice. My go to outfit in this situation would be jeans, brogues, a tidy shirt and a blazer. Oh and changing your watch from a casual to a dressier watch is a simple way to add a bit of polish to your outfit.

+ Reply to Thread