FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Investing in Quality Denim - Recommended Brands

I've been guilty in the past of buying all my jeans from the high street and never really investing in quality denim.

The poorer quality is noticable - loss of shape after some time, colour transfer, the waist expanding etc.

I'm looking to now up-level in this area (especially on key staples, such as indigo or black) and would be interested in anyone's views on the quality levels of some of the more premium brands and which brands are recommended.

From what I've read, "designer" jeans such as Paul Smith are nicely cut but arent necessarily better quality.

Some brands I've looked at include Nudie and PRPS etc. Cheap Monday seem to get mixed reviews.

Was wondering what All Saints denim quality is like too - I've never actually bought any jeans from there.

Style Icon
    I tend to stick to the classic denim brands. In my book, Levi's make the jeans with the best longevity. They also tend to age with dignity - i.e. getting that desired "vintage" look, rather than the "washed out, ready to fall apart" look. My favourite pair I've used at lest once per week the past two years, washing them maybe once every other month, and they still look brand new and fit perfectly. That said, I've had a couple of H&M jeans that've served me well, but H&M is always a bit of a gamble.

I've tried some designer jeans out, and they rarely compare. The biggest problem is usually the colour getting faded, getting that washed out tone of your old mans jeans.

Hardcore denim folks will tell you to never wash your jeans, which is just ridiculous in my opinion. A pair of jeans that can't handle being washed every two months without fading or losing fit, is a substandard product.

Trend Setter
    Try on some Levi's jeans in a store and then buy them from Amazon. I got mine from Karmaloop (since I wear an odd 33W which Amazon didn't stock at the time) and I have never looked back ever since.

I have to agree with MarcLager. I bought my first pairs ofLevi's in 2007/2008 and they both look as good today as they did back then.I've since bought another pair of Levi's and they too will take on pretty much anything you could possibly throw at them. I would also recommend Lee jeans for the same reason.

I bought a pair of Diesel jeans last winter/spring foraround 95.00. They looked great and were really comfortable, but by mid-summer they were looking a little worse for wear. A pair of Hilfiger jeans, which I bought around the same time, didn't fare any better. To be brutally honest, neither pair were much better than jeans I've bought from H&M and Topman.

I was tempted to buy a pair of AllSaints jeans a couple of months ago. I've read nothing but positive reviews online, although everybody I know who's forked out on a pair don't think the quality justifies the pricetag.
    Last edited by VanSmirren; 26-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Go raw denim, all about the fade! My current pair are a crotch blow out in potentia though, need to get them fixed.

J8x

Trend Setter
    Nudie is always a safe bet, comfy and durable. Only downside is sometimes the fit isn't quite what I'd like, Tape Ted is slightly wide and the skinnier ones are very slim, think they need a real tapered cut. Allsaints denim used to be really good quality but my Stamp Cigarette don't seem to be of the same durability as my other pairs, although the fit is spot on. Have a mate who swear by PRPS if you have the money to splash out on them. If you're interested in raw denim then there's quite a few brands that are all of similar high quality but be prepared for your bank balance to take a hit.

Fashionisto
    I live in my Nudies. Also have a pair of black Allsaints skinnys are they're pretty great too. Can recommend both brands!

Trend Setter
    I'm also looking to buy some new denim - hard to find the skinny, but not skin-tight fit.
    I'm thinking of maybe investing in some Nudie Thin Finns

Most of my Jeans are from Jack&Jones, but I love my Levis and Diesel. Totally agree with MarcLager, stick to the classics. Levis have great long lasting quality, and Diesel were entrepreneurs when it comes to washed out jeans.

THM

Fashionisto
    The best lasting pair of jeans I have are Wranglers. I guess they're another classic jeans brand that have been going long enough to know how to do it. I'm quite hands on in my daily life so tend to give my jeans quite a hard time but the black Wranglers still look good and haven't worn or faded in the year or so I've had them.

For fitted but not skin tight, I found Next jeans to be good. I forgot what style they are I have. The quality's not as good but they feel nice to wear.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last