FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Is JCrew a rip off?

They appear to do some nice stuff. I'm particularly taken by some of their ties on their cheat sheet, the Indian cotton marine plaid tie in particular. But is it worth more than 50 quid! I can't think of anywhere where ties cost this much. Is it that it's imported? The weak pound? Or is this brand just silly?

Trend Setter
    I've seen discussion on other forum that some of their stuff, in particular their suits, are overpriced, but that if you take advantage of their very regular sales then they are not so bad. Things do work out more expensive with buying from the UK - import tax etc. They are opening their first UK store on Regent Street this year/next year I think.

Plenty of places have ties that costs more that 50 though:
    Designer ties on MR PORTER
    Alexander Olch
    Men's Neck Ties by Brooks Brothers

Though perhaps their tie prices are punching above their weight?

I've bought the odd thing from them before now and been pleased enough, fast shipping, very good customer service etc. If you sign up you will get discount coders fairly regularly.

Fashionisto
    I've been happy with all of my J Crew purchases, the quality has always been well worth the price. However, their tie prices are a little steep. 0_0 I regularly pay that sort of price for a tie but not one from J Crew. If you're going to pay that sort of money you're probably better off sticking with a brand that specalizes in ties.

I normally go straight to the sale section, or the outlet. I have always been pleased with their products. I do, however, wish their stuff was made in the US, especially given the prices.

Fashionisto
    I would say that they are definitely overpriced. However, I think that every once in a while it is okay to splurge. And for J. Crew, I would splurge on a few items on special occasions.

Here are a few pics from my wedding a year and a half ago. I'm wearing J. Crew's Ludlow suit in Italian Chino. It was way too expensive. But, I only get married once. Plus, my wife is hot.

Style Icon
    Nice suit. Your wife looks like Princess Leia.

Trend Setter
    always found their prices to be indicative of their quality tbh.

Trend Setter
    I've often admired their Ludlow suits, good to see they look great on "real" people too.

+ Reply to Thread