FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Building a Wardrobe on a Budget

You all seem a lot richer than me!

I have read some of the articles on constructing a wardrobe on a budget, but I want to hear from you. What is the best way to purchase necessary items and do so conservatively? Conversely, what items must I splurge on?

I need some more chinos, I need another pair of slim fit jeans (selvedge? yeah right!), I need my first blazer, a cardigan or two, a varsity jacket, some tapered shorts, and a couple pair of casual shoes. And the list goes on and on. How can I do this without breaking the bank? Are there secret places to shop? Right now, I'm having to just get lucky and buy on sale items from Asos and the like. Topman is typically out of my price range.

I know there are a lot of questions here, I just need some general guidance on how to build a wardrobe from the ground up when I'm just not rolling in cash yet.

Style Icon
    eBay and charity shops (thrifting since you're in the US) are good bets, and always keep your eye out for sales and discounts.

In terms of what to splurge on and what to save money, from your list i'd go cheap on the chinos & shorts, don't spend too much on the cardigans (it's best to get wool over acrylic but if you're looking now I guess you want something for spring which'll be cotton at most price points), and pay a bit extra for the blazer, jacket and shoes (but look out for sales).

Hope that helps!

TK Maxx is my ting, you guys call it TJ Maxx, I never understood that.

I have shopped in TJ Maxx quite a bit in the states and got a lot of good stuff.

Oh, you have outlet malls too, hit those up for loads of cheap Hilfiger and CK.

Fashionisto
    Both of your remarks help tremendously. I tend to look online for most of my purchases because I am a guy and I just hate shopping. But, I guess it is time to get off of my lazy rear and go to an actual store/outlet/thrift shop and make some purchases in person.

eBay can be good too, but there is no replacement for shopping in person imo

Fashionisto
    When you shop eBay, do you tend to purchase from individuals or businesses?

It varies, I don't buy loads on there but I have purchased from both

Style Icon
    Same, it tends to be a mixture; some second-hand stuff from individuals and new stuff from outlets etc. As long as you're aware of feedback etc it doesn't make that much of a difference.

+ Reply to Thread