FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Shirt & Tie conundrum.

I was just wondering are you supposed to wear a tie with an oxford cut or button down collar, and if so, what kind of tie?

These are the types of collar I'm talking about:

ASOS | ASOS Smart Oxford Shirt at ASOS

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Smart-Shirt-With-Button-Down-Collar/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2571835&cid=3602&Rf900=1557&Rf 958=3974&Rf-200=33&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=3&clr=Navy

Fashionisto
    I'd say not necessarily. Surely you can wear a tie to smarten things up a bit. However, those shirts look really good simply buttoned all the way up to the top (as seen in the picture you provided). Here are a few more pictures of tie-less buttoned men from some recent lookbooks:

Guy on the right:

I know you specified button-down collars, but I'd give the same suggestion for no button as well. I'd say it's largely personal opinion though. As for what kind of tie, a solid knitted tie works fairly well in many settings.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I'd say not necessarily.
    Agreed, but you could wear a slim tie with it. It can be hard to find nice ties slim enough for low collars, though.

For that ASOS shirt you used as an example, I'd wear a brown herringbone tweed tie. H&M used to have a good selection of slim ties. I bought one there, and it looks a bit like the image below, but slightly lighter in colour.

Thanks Guys, fantastic advice!

Looks good but I'm not sure if I can pull of that look hahaha..

+ Reply to Thread