FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

How to make a blazer look casual?

I have a tweed 3 button blazer and a burgundy 2 button blazer/suit jacket, however I always feel far too overdressed when I go to wear them, and decide not to wear them at all.. How can I make it look casual rather than look like I'm off to a wedding or something??

Fashionisto
    have you tried putting the collar up? and leaving it undone?

Style Icon
    Have you considered that, if a blazer makes you feel over dressed, it might not be the style for you?

I had a quick look in Fashion Beans street style gallery and spotted these examples of good, casual blazer looks.
    Alex Restivo's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Nikolas's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Nicholas Galletti's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Anonymous's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Fred van Leer's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Anonymous's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com
    Andrew Dima's Style | Street Style Photos at FashionBeans.com

Check out some lookbooks and street style sites, and see if you can spot any blazer looks you like - preferably looks with blazers similar to the ones you own, or try to translate what you see into what you've got.

Style Icon
    Try wearing them with a henley or a crew neck jumper underneath rather than a shirt.

Most of the time when I go with a blazer I have a pullover hoodie under
    with a button up, and jeans. Sometimes I have on dressy shoes but eh not always.

Blazers are inherently smart, particularly if you don't wear one often.

I will wear one occasionally for a casual evening in the pub or something, but you can always count on someone asking why you are wearing it!

Style Icon
    I doubt it's the blazer or the outfit that is the problem as much as your mentality.

I wear blazers every day in a variety of looks.

It depends on your definition of casual. If you define casual as being solely the realm of hoodies and trainers then, yes, a blazer is going to struggle to fit into that sort of image.

However, as someone who NEVER wears hoodies or trainers, my definition of casual is slightly more traditional. If I'm not wearing a suit or a tie, as far as I'm concerned I'm donning 'casual' wear.

A few pointers for working blazers into more relaxed looks:

- don't treat the blazer as a 'blazer' as much as just another piece of outerwear. This works well with tweed numbers. Layering is the key. Start with a shirt (or tee), then add a jumper or cardigan and then add the blazer. Try to make it look as unintentional as possible. That way, the blazer just looks thrown on and (dare I say it) practical.

- Leave the chinos at home and opt for a pair of slim or skinny jeans.

- Try leaving the blazer open (only do this with single breasted numbers of course). Popping collars can work too sometimes, although it's easy to get wrong and should only be attempted with more rugged, deconstructed pieces.

- Leave the brogues at home and opt for a more smart/casual option like the desert boot or some more casual loafers.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Simple. Ditch your tie and swap your trousers for a pair of jeans. If you're a risk taker you could even through on a pair of boater shoes as they have more of a casual vibe than loafers. ;-) At the end of the day your attitude is most important if you look comfortable and relaxed people won't question why you're wearing a blazer.

+ Reply to Thread