FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Bourbons & Bow-Ties themed Wedding Advice Required

For my wedding this year i really want to rock the bowtie look. I don't particularly want to go down tuxedo/dinner jack route as I dont think its quite my style and might a bit formal and, I don't want a shiny lapel!
    Last edited by richardgf; 11-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Trend Setter
    There isn't really any set of rules as to when you should or shouldn't wear a bow tie. They can be paired with any sort of suit you fancy.

That said, in my opinion, it is worth bearing in mind that, unlike a long four-in-hand tie, they leave a lot of uncovered shirt front. When worn as evening wear this is a feature used to accentuate the patterned white of the shirt front as it contrasts with the low buttoning dinner jacket. Most of the rest of the time, however, even a good shirt is not quite the star that an evening shirt is and the temptation is to cover it in some way and bring some balance to the outfit.

For that reason, a waistcoat is often worn. A double breasted jacket (fastened with two or all three buttons) could have the same effect.

I can't recommend a tailor but I've heard decent things about Cad & the Dandy (they do different levels of suits from a MTM plus to properly bespoke and start at fairly reasonable cost levels). Otherwise, where are you based and someone might have a recommendation.

Wolf - Thank you for your response.

I was initially thinking of going for the below link look with a either striped blue and white bow tie or a solid blue.

What type of shirt collar would you use?
    Last edited by richardgf; 11-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Trend Setter
    That looks pretty smart - though like you, perhaps, I think the bright red bow tie is just a touch too much.

As for shirt collars, I'd wear a pretty standard semi-cutaway collar but again, it is simply personal taste. There certainly is no rule about it.

I would probably avoid the more extreme cut away collars: you can't see them properly behind the ends of the tie and they don't help to frame the bow tie. Also, for obvious reasons, tab collars or those designed for use with bars aren't likely to be appropriate.

+ Reply to Thread