FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Black Suit - Mistake?

I have just bought a Black suit - and now i am having second thoughts as i have always deferred to navy, charcoal and grey.

I am off to a Work Conference which requires the me being suited up, can I wear the Black on - if so, with what? What colour shoes, can i wear checks in my shirt with a black tie?

I want to look smart, but still look a little cooler than the stooges I cam going to be working with..

I'm 6ft, 36yrs old and in canny shape, and the suit fits me just fine..!

Ummmmm there is nothing wrong with a black suit. A checked shirt will be fine. You should prob wear black shoes, but I can see tan ones working too.

Maybe rather than a black tie, wear one that picks out a colour in the shirt to soften the look. You could also wear a fine cardigan in a contrasting colour under thye suit jacket to add a touch of flair.

Also, google image search "black suit" and see what looks inspire you.

Style Icon
    I personally black suits can be tricky to work with outside the realm of eveningwear. You definately have to wear black shoes in my opinion, but that doesn't mean you can't add some striking accessories to lift the look.

Personally though I find black suiting impossible to work with. Any other colour than white or black seems to ruin the look for me. Red is too striking and predictable, blue a bit 'bruise' like and pink just a bit meh. I would always opt for grey or navy in the situation described above.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Style Icon
    I think black suits have gotten a bit of a bad rep, probably because it's often the first suit you get and you tend to get it "wrong" - i.e. bad fit, cheap cloth etc. True, it might not be the most exciting suit, but in the event you need a black suit, you really do need a black suit. My first suit was black. I don't use it much these days as I've got others I like better, but when I need I know I've got one. Every wardrobe needs a black suit sooner or later.

As for your other questions, I'd go with black shoes, but no brogues. You can go pretty much anywhere for shirt and tie combinations, but if you want to dress it down a bit, avoid white shirts. Pastel colours is probably better than deep dark colours to lighten it up a bit. Matching socks with your tie is also an easy way to make it less formal.

Fashionisto
    I regularly wear black suits and rarely struggle to put a good-looking outfit together. Other than a typical white shirt, I often do "feminine" or light colors like tangerine, pink, teal, or purple. I tend to couple this with a solid neutral slim tie. I always go with black shoes for a black suit. They always look good to me. I don't think you have to look like a waiter when going black.

Nat

Style Icon
    I'm with Nath on this one. A black suit can look very deadening. Navy, grey etc looks much richer

Trend Setter
    Firstly, is a black suit a mistake? Not necessarily, by any means. But it wouldn't be my first choice either.

I have a black suit. It is getting somewhat old and tired now but I haven't replaced it - I've gone for greys and blues. They are more versatile, generally look better, in my opinion, and carry a reduced risk of being mistaken for an undertaker or defendant on his way to a court hearing. That said mine was a very nice suit, with an elegant italian style cut, and I thought it still looked good. If your suit fits well and flatters you, that's the most important thing.

Secondly, what to wear it with? I'd say black shoes are going to be appropriate. Brown shoes would look a little odd with a black suit. You can do brown with black jeand but for a suit it is too casual and, because they'd lighter in colour, it would draw the eye to your feet. You could get away with dark blue shoes, possibly, if you are brave enough.

I'd definitely avoid a black tie with a black suit - you really will look like an undertaker. Silver would be a good colour or a shade of grey (with a white shirt). Preferably, a tie with a degree of texture and variation in it. Purples or other colours in deep rich shades would work well. Minimal patterns would work too - delicate spots or fine stripes.

As for shirts, checks could work but I'd probably wear a fairly plain shirt. Light blue might be good. Your shirt could certainly stand some texture such as an Oxford weave or herringbone pattern.

My tuppence ha'pennies worth.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for all the replies...

I just tried the suit on again and have decided to get the seams taken in at the legs to make a slimmer silhouette, so I'm deferring back to the navy this time. But next opportunity, ill rock the black..

+ Reply to Thread