FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Black suit - shirt, tie, pocket square combination

Hello everyone,

I've been a frequent visitor to the website for a while now, but this is my first post!

I'm going to a summer ball in a month's time and have bought a slim cut black three-piece suit for the occasion. Was just wondering what colour combinations people would recommend with a black suit? Should I go with the classic black suit/white shirt/black tie/white pocket square look, or do I try something a bit different?

The tie pin/bar look interests me, so I was thinking of going down that route because it'll be a bit different to what others will wear I.e. a generic white shirt.

But yeah, other than the black three-piece suit, it's pretty much a blank canvas, so please do post your suggestions.

Cheers!

Trend Setter
    I'd advise against the black tie with black suit look. In your mind you'll be super sharp, to everyone else you'll be on your way to a funeral. Find a tie with a silky finish, some texture and minimal or no pattern and you'll be good - silver, grey or blue might be decent places to start.

Trend Setter
    Maybe if you wanted to spice things up a bit you could throw in a polka dot pocket square (all black with white dots) to add a bit of flair to an otherwise classic look. That, alongside with a slim textured black tie would work pretty well.

Thanks for the replies, guys! It's a Marks & Spencer suit (I'm a student, unfortunately I can't afford a bespoke suit) but the finish is pretty decent.

What do you guys think of the tie bar collar?

MDB

If there's one night to wear a tie bar collared shirt it's to a summer ball!

As for ties (and this might not work with the collar bar) how about a black knitted tie with white polka dots? Something like this Polka Dot Black and White Knit Tie - Spotted Tie - The House of Ties
    ...you could probably find a cheaper version elsewhere online.

I like that tie!

The main problem I'm finding is my neck size. I need a shirt that has a 16" neck size but of roughly 38" chest size. Most shirts "off the shelf" are 42" if you go for a 16". I can't really afford to get a shirt custom made.

Anyone else have this problem and any ideas of ways around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack. View Post
    I like that tie!

The main problem I'm finding is my neck size. I need a shirt that has a 16" neck size but of roughly 38" chest size. Most shirts "off the shelf" are 42" if you go for a 16". I can't really afford to get a shirt custom made.

Anyone else have this problem and any ideas of ways around it?
    Try various shops - something in a slim fit should have a more friendly collar to chest ratio.

Failing that, take something to a tailor to get taken in on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    Try various shops - something in a slim fit should have a more friendly collar to chest ratio.

Failing that, take something to a tailor to get taken in on the sides.
    What shops would you recommend, in particular? I might try the latter option - cheers pal!

I have my shirt sorted out now; bought myself a plain white shirt and also a pale blue shirt - wasn't sure which one would work best.

Does anyone have suggestions for tie and pocket square combinations to go with a pale blue shirt and black 3-piece suit? Or alternatively, to go with a white shirt.

+ Reply to Thread