FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Good Quality Brogues

As a reward for a fantastic school report, my mother has promised to purchase a pair of brogues for me. At long last! The only problem is I can't find many decent ones that I like the look of. The budget is between 70 - 85. I would want a slimmer tan pair to go with my slimmer cut of jean and trouser. Any suggestions?

They have a few pairs of Loakes in that price range on the TK Maxx website, and some other brands too.

"Loake" Leather Brogues - TK Maxx

Trend Setter
    If you can get a pair of Loake's in your budget range then its a no brainer but failing that, Dune do some nice brogues for around 85. Ted Baker do some nice brogues for slightly more - around 95 I think. You could always put some of your own money to the budget!

Style Icon
    Agree on the Loake's, but you'd probably have to catch them on sale somewhere to get them within budget.

I haven't got any Hudson brogues myself, but I bought a pair for my wife, and they're pretty solid quality. They've got a really nice, slim pair for 95. Check them out here: Men

Like Textbook said, throw in a tenner of your own money, and you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    Agree on the Loake's, but you'd probably have to catch them on sale somewhere to get them within budget.

I haven't got any Hudson brogues myself, but I bought a pair for my wife, and they're pretty solid quality. They've got a really nice, slim pair for 95. Check them out here: Men

Like Textbook said, throw in a tenner of your own money, and you're there.
    I have some Hudson ones and they are really good - have lasted years.

Loakes are reduced in TK though as posted above...

Trend Setter
    Cheers guys. I'm loving all the suggestions but I have to say that the ones from Dune appeal to me the most.

Trend Setter
    Ben Sherman Navy contrasting soled brogues- at Debenhams.com

I know they aren't tan but... thoughts?

Style Icon
    On the pictures they come out more black than navy, and personally I'm not a big fan of black brogues. Other than that, they look pretty nice. If you like them go for it. But! I wouldn't order them without trying them on first, and get a chance to feel them in my hand. Ben Sherman stuff usually looks really nice but the quality isn't always there, and you end up paying a lot for the brand. Still 64 might be an all right price.

I would advice you to stick to the tan-plan though. Tan brogues are much easier to match.

Love the Navy ones... I think the brown contrasting sole will mean they are still very versatile and would work with most outfits, apart from wearing formally with black trousers.

I think the chunkiness of them lends itself t the modern style more than, say, the Hudson ones which are quite slimline and probably more office wear.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I think the chunkiness of them lends itself t the modern style more than, say, the Hudson ones which are quite slimline and probably more office wear.
    Good point. The Hudsons are perhaps more office wear (I tend to go that way, as I do indeed work in an office). But I'd also say that the Hudson's would still be wearable on a not-too-a-hot summer evening, where the Shermans would look too chunky.

Then again, brogues are not the usual go to shoe of summer, so for spring and fall wear the chunky sole might actually be a better pick.

But I still stick to my statement about tan brogues being a more versatile choice for your first pair of brogues.
    Last edited by MarcLager; 09-04-2013 at 09:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread