FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

1st pair of selvedge denims

As I said on another thread, I got my first ever pair of selvedge denims last week. They were from the allsaints mid-season sale - Iggy Brut fit.

I know i'm mean't to "break them in" for at least six months etc.

The main problem is I buy 32 inch waist as they fit my legs perfectly length and fit but as I am Chinese and athletic, there is a a lot of space left at the waist (30 inch does not work as they are too tight on the leg). I'd say there was 2 inches to spare.

Is it worth my while getting the waist taken in a little (about an inch) as there is some bunching when i put a belt on. Or do i put up with it until my first wash and let it shrink 6 months down the line.

Won't the leg shrink too if you wash them?

I seem to recall hearing that you can put them on, sit in a bath and let them shrink in the right places without ruining the raw finish. Worth a go?

i'm factoring an allowance for shrinkage on the leg fit and length

Style Icon
    I am not sure on the quality of the All Saints raw denims. Usually it is customary to buy a pair that are fairly tight fitting as the jeans will begin to stretch, moulding to your shape. When you wash them the denim will shrink back to how it was, but again it should stretch to fit perfectly.
    DO NOT wash your jeans yet. That will completely defeat the purpose of buying raw denim.

In your case the waist will most likely stretch, so it may be worth getting a tailor to have a look, or simply just wear a belt.
    My advice would be to buy a size down and wear them for a bit. If the quality is good enough the denim should stretch comfortably.

(BTW Selvedge does not necessarily imply raw denim. You appear to be mistaking the two. Selvedge is the construction weave of the denim whilst the 'raw' designation explains the fact that the denim has been untreated)
    Last edited by _Ben_; 08-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Style Icon
    I know I am right. It is good to be decisive, Steve. Although your use of the ellipsis is unparalleled.

thanks Ben, the pair i have hug the leg nicely its the waist that's too big. I think I'll have the waist taken in slightly as even with a belt it seems there is too much material bunching up.

+ Reply to Thread