FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

problematic proportions

sup.

i'm a pretty stocky 6' guy but have rather unfortunately short (30~") legs. i've always struggled to find clothes, especially trousers, that look good on me--i want to change this!

i realise that this isn't exactly your typical problem, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

FashionBeans Staff
    Slimmer trouser will make your legs look longer. Make sure they are all the right length as well, you don't want much bunching where the trouser meets the shoe because this will make your legs look shorter again.

I think it would be worth taking your legwear to a decent tailor to make sure you are 100% happy

The extra 30 or so will be well worth it

Trend Setter
    Leg fitting can be frustrating.. I don't own a single pair of trousers that I haven't had to tailor. Fortunately, turn ups on jeans and chino's are fine.

At 6'3, I have fairly short legs and still turn up 32" jeans/chinos, so I guess this may be more of a common problem than you'd think.

As Mr Colman has pointed out, a slimmer fit will create the illusion of longer legs, and you definitely do not want them "bunching up" above your shoes. Given you have a "stocky" frame, you probably won't want a skinny fit - maybe try some tapered fits which will sit quite comfortably as a regular fit on your waist, but will slim in towards your ankle

I couldn't agree more with the comment suggesting you take them to a tailor.

Nat

Style Icon
    There is a bit of a trend towards higher-waisted trousers too. They will shorten the torso / lengthen the legs. I'm thinking more David Gandy, than Simon Cowell....

Obv they lend themselves to a more formal look though, so probably not too suitable for jeans etc.

+ Reply to Thread