FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Incorporating a blazer

So I bought my first well fitted blazer, it's close to navy but probably more of a deeper blue; but as people I hang around with have never seen me wear one, how do I go about incorporating it into my look, without it being too noticeable?

Fashionisto
    How do other people in your group dress?

Fashionisto
    I have a similar problem, in the not so distant past blazers were for the more discerning and bit older gent, but certainly more mainstream now. Ive had my first since before Christmas and not had the 'courage' to wear it! Not quite sure why, possibly a bit over dressed for where I live (Isle of Man), or still have a perception that im still young and blazers are for the more mature gent. Mental I know!!!

Style Icon
    Start out wearing it casually until you get more used to it; try a henley or crew-neck jumper underneath rather than a shirt, with jeans and some decent brown/tan shoes (brogues, monks, derbies). I know Fashionbeans loves pocket squares but they are conspicuous, so feel free to go without until you're confident wearing the blazer.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep Boy View Post
    Start out wearing it casually until you get more used to it; try a henley or crew-neck jumper underneath rather than a shirt, with jeans and some decent brown/tan shoes (brogues, monks, derbies). I know Fashionbeans loves pocket squares but they are conspicuous, so feel free to go without until you're confident wearing the blazer.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts, but it will also depend on your current wardrobe. Mixing in a blazer with a tee or crew-neck jumper, with properly fitting jeans and even some converse/pumps will help you get used to it.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aharps View Post
    How do other people in your group dress?
    Cardigans, cableknits, zipped hoodies (for the more casual attire). Jeans or chinos. Rarely slip on any shoes so to speak, mostly canvas or leather pumps.

To everyone else thanks for the suggestions got a few neutral T's it will look great over.

Personally, I think you should incorporate the blazer into your outfits at home, ie with a shirt underneath, and then a round neck jumper, and then a t-shirt etc.

From here then pick the combination you think fits together the best, as this that is what you will feel most confident and comfortable in. It is difficult to wear something you have never worn before and it not be noticeable?

Wearing a blazer will only look strange to your friends for the first few times, which will soon wear off, it is just the initial step into unfamiliarity which is difficult to overcome.

My personal preference with your colour blazer would be a white shirt, skinny stone wash jeans, and a pair of boat shoes. Not everybody's preference but I think it works nicely.

+ Reply to Thread