FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Work Experience/Internship interview

Hello everyone,

I have an interview for work experience/an internship at the Parliament next week. It's relatively informal i'd imagine, as rather than a rigorous interview process, I got the interview as a result of knowing someone who knows someone.

In regards to what to wear, i'm slightly perplexed. Money isn't a massive problem, although it's not in abundance - i'm a student.

I have a Suit blazer I purchased in urban outfitters, which isn't as informal as the picture would imply.

( http://images-ff.asos-media.com/shmo...fdca26d08.jpeg )

I was thinking of wearing blazer, coupled a white oxford shirt, black tie, smart black trousers (NOT suit trousers) and black shoes/brogues. Would this be appropriate?

Was just wanting opinions on my proposed outfit, in regards to whether it proves formal enough for the occasion?

Oh, and to add to this, I have a very unusual body shape, so suit shopping can often be very difficult. As a result, all previous suits have been tailored, which makes it all a slightly lengthy and stressful process.

1a. Try and buy a suit

If option 1 fails:

1b. Pale blue shirt, burgundy tie. It will hopefully be smooth enough to make up for not wear suit. Wear tailored trousers, flat fronted (not even front ironed crease).

3b. Buy a suit, you need one.

Trend Setter
    I'd try and get a suit too. It looks like you taking the process seriously.

However, if you are going for an odd jacket (and the interview isn't that formal) I'd abandon the idea of black trousers and black tie myself. Black is too somber and formal for the odd jacket, in my opinion.

Think about a pair of smart grey flannel trousers or similar. Something pretty neutral - perhaps dark blue. As for your tie, I'd wear something fairly neutral - earthy tones might work with the grey/green look of your jacket.

Trend Setter
    I'd agree about trying to get a suit, something in grey or navy that you will be able to use in the future. Austin Reed have lots of suits on sale for around 200 on their website, which is prob the same price you would pay for a cheap suit suit of lesser quality somewhere like Topman or M&S.

I also agree about ditching the black tie/jacket. Get some navy/grey tailored trousers and a decent neutral tie. Maybe a knitted one?

+ Reply to Thread