FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Yeah do it man

Hey, sorry its taken me so long to get the pictures together. But heres some of the looks I've been trying out. I have to admit the pictures arent great, but any guidance or advice would be cool -

Cheers

Nat

Style Icon
    I would say that in pics one and two, the jeans and shoes are too casual for what you're trying to do. Maybe try something darker and a bit slimmer fitting?

In pics three to five, maybe don't tuck the trousers into the boots, as it tends to shorten the appearance of the leg. Also, do you need to wear the tie? Again, it may be a bit too much of a blend of smart and casual. I'm not saying it can't be done, but walk before you run, and all that...

I like the colour on the cords though (they are cords aren't they?). It's all a learning curve though man - keep going and experimenting. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I would say that in pics one and two, the jeans and shoes are too casual for what you're trying to do. Maybe try something darker and a bit slimmer fitting?
    Sounds like great advice. Those Jeans and trainers are part of my 'old' style that I pulled on for lack of anything better. I had seen the shirt + tie/jeans thing mentioned elsewhere and wasn't sure it would work so just wanted to try it.

In pics three to five, maybe don't tuck the trousers into the boots, as it tends to shorten the appearance of the leg. Also, do you need to wear the tie? Again, it may be a bit too much of a blend of smart and casual. I'm not saying it can't be done, but walk before you run, and all that...
    After taking those photos I just realised how much I hate those boots! Haha. I'm just not too good at choosing footwear - especially when its for outfits I'm not sure if work together themselves. Yeah I guess I could loose the tie - though I'm quite keen to make a lot of use of ties but maybe it needs to be different colour/style or a completely different outfit entirely - if I've ever been outside wearing this sort of outfit I usually go without tie. Just wanted to try it for the photo so folks could see what look I was trying to go for.

I like the colour on the cords though (they are cords aren't they?). It's all a learning curve though man - keep going and experimenting. Good luck.
    Thanks THey're chinos actually - doesnt come across too well in the photos.

Nat

Style Icon
    I'm not a big fan of ties with jeans. It can be done, but the jeans need to be smarter, and the tie needs to be a bit more casual (if a casual tie isn't a contradiction in terms) - think knitted textured ties, things like that Next Knitted Ties | FashionBeans

In terms of footwear, keep it simple and classic until you're a bit more sure of yourself. Desert boots (Men’s Footwear Guide: The Desert Boot | FashionBeans) are great for a more casual look, and leather derbies (Hudson Braun Men's Leather Derby Shoe Brown - Hudson from Diffusion UK) are perfect if you want to go a bit smarter and slimmer.

First off, good on you for having the courage to throw it out there with some pics it was a massive learning curve for me when I first started getting into clothes and this site in a big way (after a break up with a girl and hurtling towards the big 3-0!) and I'd never have had the cojones to post pics.

I think the general consensus is pretty accurate - in the first two pics the jeans are a bit too casual for a shirt and tie. The top half shows good silhouette on the waist and arms and then it's like a different outfit for the bottom half.

A way that I got used to wearing a tie when I first starting trying to smarten up was to wear one under a v neck jumper. That way, I could still wear a tie casually without feeling like I was being too "hey everyone, look at my new style- it's ties!" about it. Got some good compliments on it too.

As well as getting a slimmer, darker pair of jeans for pic 2, I'd perhaps recommend thinking about the belt. There's a clash of accessories there in the belt and tie in both colour and design. The tie is simple but the belt has a bit more of a flourish and because the tie ends where the belt shows off, it looks a bit of a mismatch.

That's a cool blazer in pic 4! i'm not so sure about that shirt with a tie though. It looks like the sort of shirt that rolls well enough on its own. Also, and this is just my personal preference, I always roll sleeves up. Always. On everything. (shirts, blazers, jackets, t-shirts,). It's an addiction.

Good effort though mate, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    First off, good on you for having the courage to throw it out there with some pics it was a massive learning curve for me when I first started getting into clothes and this site in a big way (after a break up with a girl and hurtling towards the big 3-0!) and I'd never have had the cojones to post pics.

I think the general consensus is pretty accurate - in the first two pics the jeans are a bit too casual for a shirt and tie. The top half shows good silhouette on the waist and arms and then it's like a different outfit for the bottom half.

A way that I got used to wearing a tie when I first starting trying to smarten up was to wear one under a v neck jumper. That way, I could still wear a tie casually without feeling like I was being too "hey everyone, look at my new style- it's ties!" about it. Got some good compliments on it too.

As well as getting a slimmer, darker pair of jeans for pic 2, I'd perhaps recommend thinking about the belt. There's a clash of accessories there in the belt and tie in both colour and design. The tie is simple but the belt has a bit more of a flourish and because the tie ends where the belt shows off, it looks a bit of a mismatch.

That's a cool blazer in pic 4! i'm not so sure about that shirt with a tie though. It looks like the sort of shirt that rolls well enough on its own. Also, and this is just my personal preference, I always roll sleeves up. Always. On everything. (shirts, blazers, jackets, t-shirts,). It's an addiction.

Good effort though mate, keep it up!
    Thanks man, and thanks everyone else for the advice. I really want to make a go of improving my style but I realise I have a long way to go and need a fair bit of help and advice - which has been great from everyone. Cheers for the heads up on the v-neck jumper I'll give that a try!

I'll post some more pics once I act on all the advice

Trend Setter
    Yeah my sentiments are kind of repeating the above about the clash of items. But I can't recommend the black jeans suggestion enough, seriously buy some ASOS own (around the 25 mark) and get all their fits, slim, straight, tailored (i think they do that) and just pick the one that suits you and you feel comfortable in and send the others back. Use those as your base item, just make sure you've nailed the waist fit, for instance you try on slim and think "they fit on the thighs the waist is a bit baggy but with a belt will be okay" wrong, send them back and use the straight or tailored that fit at the waist. Black or indigo jeans will go with 99% of outfits, the reason I say the ASOS own jeans is because they're cheap and you're still getting used to this style change so you don't want to invest too soon, and if you make a mistake, you don't want to feel you have to get your money's worth from them.

Also these are the most helpful articles on the site for your sartorial adventure (in my opinion):

Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 69 – Top 10 Items Every Guy Should Own | FashionBeans

Men

And this is worth a read too:
    Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 90 – The Next 5 Steps | FashionBeans

Hey again, been a bit slow with this because of some changes in fanancial circumstances but I've still been picking things up here and there. I've got a few more photos if anyone wants to critique it'd be really helpful. Cheers !

+ Reply to Thread