FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Summer Wedding Outfit Advice

I'm attending a summer wedding in a month or so and am thinking about what to wear in advance. I've already checked out the FB articles on the topic.

The wedding will be in the countryside and relatively informal. Bride and Groom will be traditionally dressed, but I'm expecting the guests to be a mish-mash of smart, casual and downright scruffy.

I'm thinking this frees me up to have fun and wear what I like?

First option is my Reiss Farley, single button peak lapel suit, described by Reiss as a 'wedding suit'.

I could either wear this with a standard white shirt, I have both trad peak and cutaway collar options already. But am also wondering about getting a pin collar shirt for the occasion:

http://www.savilerowco.com/Assets/Sa...348WHT_a_p.jpg
    Then wearing with brown or black Oxford's (I have both).

What sort of tie would be appropriate? I have several silk knitted ones that would go well, but am thinking of something different for a wedding? A cotton/linen tie would be summer appropriate, but is that appropriate will a wool suit?

I'm wondering about a second more summery option, though we are talking north of England here, so this might not be needed.

In which case, is this too informal?

Trend Setter
    Personally, I think summer is the perfect occasion to mix is in some lighter colours.. I like the Reiss jacket, but (again, personally) I think your initial suggestion runs the risk of looking too much like office wear. Maybe thats just me..

I'd definitely consider mixing in some light coloured chinos with the jacket instead - like a light grey, with some loafers.

I'd even consider a button down chambray shirt (no tie), and a bright pocket square.

I'm at 2 weddings myself in July, so my comments are geared more towards the looks I'll be going with

Trend Setter
    Definitely agree about avoiding looking like I have just come from the office. The Reiss suit is lighter than it looks in the pic, def not as dark as navy. But it is quite formal, and this will be a relatively informal wedding. I'm not sure the jacket would work separate from the suit.

The second suit is a light green linen/cotton blend and sold as separates, so would add some color and be more informal/seasonally appropriate. I can imagine a nice bright linen/cotton pocket square working, with a tie of similar material, which I could lose for the reception afterwards.

I also have both a pale blue and a pale pink gingham shirt, which might work?

Ideally I would opt for the summer bright and sockless approach, but I'm keen to have something on standby if it is cold and wet - which there is a high chance of!

+ Reply to Thread