FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Anther plea for help

Hey guys, hope all are well!

Summer ball at university is only weeks away and I am more worried and nervous about my outfit than my exams (stupidly)! This is where your help comes in.

Being a student having spent well too much on nights out this year, I am seriously low on money as always seems to be the case..

So I was wondering, what do I do about my outfit?

Rent/hire or buy? Renting would be cheaper so this is the option I would like to take, but which places allow suits to be hired without being too pricey? Yet still have fitted, slim/skinny fitted suits? Ideally I would like a really well fitted burgundy suit (think Ryan Gosling) but the only places that rent/hire dont seem to do burgundy numbers

I would like something that isnt outrageous or too out there, but different/fashionable, hence why I want a burgundy suit.

Alternatively, would it be better if I went with a black/grey/navy suit with white shirt and tried to throw in an accessory or two (tie pin, pocket square etc) to make it stand out more?

I really need help guys, but the main thing is I dont have a lot to spend at all

Thanks, hugely appreciated

Fashionisto
    How much have you got to spend? Any overdraft?

If you're renting, just get whatever you can that fits (read up on fit before you try anything on - there's a lot to look for). Avoid black unless it's a tuxedo.

Buying would definitely be preferable if you can stretch to it. If you rent, it's basically money burnt. You'll be in the same situation next year. Forget the burgundy idea though. It's a trend. You need something timeless. People buy suits in burgundy and pastel when they've already got the basics covered. It's a party suit - you aren't going to wear it to an interview, to work or to most other occasions that call for a suit. For flexibility, a navy, blue or dark grey suit will mop the floor with burgundy. Get the fit right and accessorise appropriately, the suit will still make a statement.

Slaters do a suit package (suit, shirt, tie, shoes) for 75. Alternatively, if you can spare a bit more change, they have a good range of suits starting at 59. Next suits start at 99. They currently have a white shirt, tie and tie bar set for 20, and a decent range of pocket squares. TK Maxx are usually worth a look too. If you need shoes then they're a good shout - reasonable quality for not much money. Check the clearance section for suits too - there's potential to nab something that's great quality for not a lot of money. If you have a Greenwoods near you, they might be worth a quick look as well. Similar pricing to Slaters.

Whatever you do, remember that fit is king. Read up on the articles here and over at Art of Manliness. Familiarise yourself with what to look for, be honest when trying things on, and never, ever buy or rent a suit online unless you're prepared to return it if it's not close to perfect. Ryan Gosling looks great in that burgundy suit because it has been tailored for him. Nobody looks good in an ill-fitting suit.

Fashionisto
    Thanks mate, any other help at all guys? Where can I get a cheap suit to hire from?

Or if I do go and buy one, where can I get a cheap one.. and then how do I go about finding a decent tailor? And how much will that be?!

Thanks guys

I think it's normally cheaper around Christmas, at around 40 for the suit, but M&S do a Tuxedo for 59 http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks..._rd_s=center-3

I don't know how much suit hire is nowadays. It used to be 35 from Moss Bros but that was about 10 years ago.

Of course on top of this you need a shirt, tie, shoes. If you want to there's also cummerbunds, pocket squares, scarfs and cufflinks to think about.

Just don't think the really cheap tuxs in Matalan are options. They're not.

Oh I should have added. If you have black trousers (and the shirt, etc), you can just get the M&S jacket for 35 although it does have a trim (satin?) that your trousers will be missing.

A tux jacket is usually a one-button jacket (although the link I sent has two), no pockets (i think) and then the shiny lapels. A black suit will look like a black suit if you're surrounded by everyone else wearing tuxedos. In that event, I'd go for something entirely different.

+ Reply to Thread