FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Suede Jacket Dilemma

I've bought this Kooples suede bomber jacket from TK, it's beautiful but obviously suede is not very practical.

I'm definitely keeping it but I am starting to feel like it's too nice to wear. It's presenting quite the conundrum.

Basically... Should I be precious about it and try to keep it pristine? Or do I just wear it and embrace the decay?

Here's a pic of me wearing it:

It fits like a glove and is a great colour. Is the natural wear and tear you pick up with this kind of material part of the appeal? Or should I try to keep it immaculate?

Help me out!

Fashionisto
    Is there any point in owning it if you never wear it? I'd just get on with ruining it personally. Then again, I'm not in the slightest bit precious about anything. To me, wear and tear is just the sign that I'm getting my money's worth (that goes for everything - clothes, gadgets, car, girlfriend (ok, yeah, probably not the last one).

FashionBeans Staff
    Just wear it. Protecting clothing just because it's expensive is pointless. You've bought it because it looks good and you want to show it off. Don't be stupid with it or knowingly enter situations where it will most definitely be stained etc, just be sensible. If you lock it away, you'll never wear it and you'll have wasted your money.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    Or do I just wear it and embrace the decay?
    Embrace the decay. As long as you don't wear it to the most debauched of parties or while cutting rose bushes, it'll be fine. Any piece of clothing too expensive for normal wear and tear is Too Expensive. Period.

As Coleman pointed out, if you don't wear it you'll have wasted your money.

Trend Setter
    What everyone else said: wear it.

I'd take some precautions, though. Perhaps the most important thing to remember with suede is that it is hopeless in the rain - so check the forecast!

Thanks guys. I have protected it with waterproofing spray - might just keep adding layers of that as I go on.

If I never wear it when it might rain, I'll definitely never wear it! I'm just gonna wear it and enjoy it. Worst case scenario, it ends up looking like one of All Saints' tumbled leathers :P

Fashionisto
    Seconding what everyone else has said, but I would add, make sure you carry a small umbrella around with you. Then if you get caught out by the inclement weather your jacket wont get trashed.

I saw these jackets in TK maxx the other day but they only had large and XL. I was gutted as its a stunning jacket, great quality material.

Yeah it really is a beaut

I can't carry an umbrella everywhere though, that's long. If it gets wet, it gets wet. At least it's a dark colour.

Trend Setter
    just wear it (sensibly!), suede is much more robust than people think. Especially with a dark brown colour where you can easily get hold of colour renovator.

i have a lovely reiss suede jacket which i got in a sale and a pidgeon s*** all over the shoulder, I was absolutely livid at the time! but the dry cleaner removed it no problem without damaging the jacket, you cant even tell!

+ Reply to Thread