FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Summer Wedding / My First Wedding

Hi everyone

Im looking for some opinions on an outfit for a summer wedding. This is the first wedding I'm going to as someone's date, Im seeking help because I want to look good, obviously.

I want to stand out a little bit from everyone else, but I'm not sure where the line is on "what is too casual / inappropriate"

Relevant info: it IS NOT a black suit / tie ceremony, its in Mid-June, the ceremony and reception will both be held in an air conditioned building, there wont be time to change in between, I sweat alot.

I really like this look from HEbyMango and its in my price range, linen blazer w/ cotton suit pants, image link below (couldn't figure out posting pics, sorry!)

HEbyMango - CLOTHING - Jackets - LINEN BLAZER

With a good shirt-tie combo (im thinking white shirt & floral pattern tie) & nice shoes/belt would this be formal enough to wear to a wedding?

Thanks!

Trend Setter
    You might want to get some further details of dress code - what does the invite say (if anything)? What will the groom be wearing?

In general, however, unless the invitation is clear that the wedding is informal, I'd say that that jacket is not appropriate, certainly for a UK setting (different considerations apply in the US where the odd blue jacket is a time honoured look for these sorts of events). Even for this sort of jacket the cut is sufficiently extreme, in the way it cuts away from the buttoning point so that your shirt is exposed above the trousers, that this is a very informal odd jacket. I have worn some pretty informal get up to weddings - but I knew the people well and was confident that no-one was going to be that much more formal than I was.

At most weddings, however, a suit is called for and if you are remotely unsure, that's what I'd go for. It will work regardless of whether groom is a morning suit (never black tie, please) or not. Just so long as it isn't obviously a work one (pin-striped or similar) you'll be fine. Dark blue is always great, grey prince of wales check could be good, and you'll have a suit that you'll be able to use for other things.

If the wedding and reception are both in air-conditioned rooms, I don't see that you have to worry about sweating or being too hot. You'll be just fine and looking damn smart for your date.

Style Icon
    What Wolf said...

Im glad I asked because I was about ready to buy that look last night.

http://www.moss.co.uk/Blazer-Tailore...9?Currency=USD

Thoughts on this? By Moss Bros, a UK company. Being from the states I've never heard of this brand before.

Trend Setter
    Moss Bros aren't fantastic. They aren't awful but I would go to someone like TM Lewin in preference any day.

As ever, I'd strongly advise seeing, feeling and trying on anything before ordering it.

+ Reply to Thread