FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    THM

Fashionisto

How can I look less top heavy?

Basically, I have a big head, reasonably big torso and short legs. I'm about 5'9" but I think I look shorter as I'm a bit out of proportion. I'm fairly toned so it's not a case of loosing weight. I caught my reflection in a shop window just now and wasn't best impressed.

I'm thinking it probably comes down to getting certain fits but I'm not sure. Maybe wearing shortish tops or tucked in shirts would help?

Anyone else suffer from this or got any tips on how to dress to balance it out a bit?

Pull up your pants. (:
    Seriously, too many guys are wearing pants way below their waistline and it looks horrible.

Shirt-length wise, pick shirts that go to about half of your zipper line.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Soshistar View Post
    Shirt-length wise, pick shirts that go to about half of your zipper line.
    Or tuck it. Untucked shirts steal height, and more often than not simply looks scruffy, rather than that nonchalant cool most "untuckers" are after.

Don't get too wide trousers. I too have short, but big (old footballer) legs. I usually need to go for slimfit trousers to not look completely square.

Don't wear too long jackets.

THM

Fashionisto
    Cheers guys.

For the trouser width, it seems like it's a bit of a trade off - a skinnier pair would emphasise the height but also show my heavier top, whereas a wider leg would make me look shorter, I think. One of two evils. I never wear them hanging off my arse, ever!

Good tip on the jackets. I wasn't even wearing one today when I saw myself.

Trend Setter
    My tuppenny-ha'pennies worth:

- trousers: I agree that you should avoid the current trend for low hip hugging trousers. Go for ones with a higher rise. The current trend for very low rise trousers makes most people look like they've got longer bodies and shorter legs than they might otherwise.

- trousers (2): I think you might well be able to afford to go for slightly wider legged trousers, in fact, given that you have an athletic heavier build otherwise I'd suggest it. Narrow legged trousers can give one a slightly Bender the Robot style look if you have a well developed or larger torso. A degree of fullness in the trouser leg balances this.

- Jackets: Jacket that doesn't hang too low might certainly help. Also think about (on a tailored style or blazer jacket) the buttoning point. Most jackets are designed to fasten somewhere around the waist but the exact buttoning point varies. A lowered button creates the illusion of a long chest, a slightly raised one gives the impression that the waist is higher. Shorter men sometimes lower the button to give a more elegant line but, if you are worried about your legs appearing shorter, the current trend for jackets to fasten just above the waist might be an advantage.

Trend Setter
    I'm very much the same build and height, I found exactly the same until recently I bought some Levi's 508 taper fit and they're perfect for my build they're slim but no way do I look like a walking triangle. I'm not saying buy them as they're pricey, but try them on and see if they work for you and buy others with a similar fit.

THM

Fashionisto
    Thanks guys. I was wearing skinnier jeans than normal that day. I do have a pair of Levis 511 which I think are probably a similar cut to the tapered 508. I really like them too - maybe it's the fit I particularly like about them without even realising.

I hadn't thought about the button position on a jacket before but that makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps it's another coincidence, but there's now an article on the front page about body shapes which has a bunch of sound advice.

One thing I still haven't really covered is the big ol' swede atop my shoulders. The only thing I can think of to help with that is to wear shirts/polos, i.e. something with a collar. Probably avoiding headwear helps too.

+ Reply to Thread