FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Dress Code: Cocktail

Hi,

This summer I'm invited to a wedding and the dress code is "cocktail". I'm in the wedding party as my girlfriend's sister is getting married, but the men are not wearing matching suits.

I am not sure what to wear...
    My instinct tells me to wear a light shade suit as it is summer, but the internet tells me that a formal evening cocktail party requires a dark suit.
    Black, I understand, is not done as it is reserved for tuxedos or suits for undertakers and waiters. On top of that I guess a man should'nt wear black to a wedding, like a woman should not wear white?

So here's the dilemma: I could where a light shade (light grey for example) and feel appropriately dressed during the summer's day, or a dark grey or dark blue suit and feel adequately dressed during the evening festivities.

Any thoughts on what I should go for? A light or a dark shade? And if dark, blue, grey or charcoal?

PS for the real fashion connaiseurs: My girlfriend will be wearing a cobalt blue cocktail dress. I intend to wear a matching bow-tie over a white shirt. Should I where a pocket square? What colour?

Trend Setter
    I'd go for the lighter coloured suit. Cocktails should be more fun than formal, surely? There's nothing wrong with a darker grey or navy suit but a wedding is a day rather than evening event and you shouldn't feel constrained. This link- Cocktail Attire For Men - is the only useful advice I know of. As for pocket square, I'd go for a plain white linen handkerchief.

Fashionisto
    If its your girlfriends sisters wedding can you not just get her to ask her sister what she had in mind?

Cocktail to me would suggest some sort of navy or grey suit, fairly relaxed. Grey suit, white shirt, crisp white pocket square and cobalt tie would look pretty dapper to me.

If you really wanted to push it a bit out there you could perhaps wear some cobalt blue socks with this being less formal. If you were doing that I would probably stick to black shoes though as brown grey and blue may be a bit try hard?

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the great feed back!

The only info about the wedding I got was: plain suit (no pin stripe or loud patterns), white shirt, cocktail.
    The wedding and venue will be rather fancy, yet I'm not expecting many creative or bold outfits...

I'll go for a white pocket square and black shoes. The colour of the suit still remains undecided. I guess I'll see what is available (and affordable)

Does anyone have experience with suits from Zara, All Saints or Cos? I prefer the All Saints suits, just by looking at pictures. Unfortunately they're pretty steep!

Any thoughts?

Trend Setter
    Aharps, cobalt socks sound like a great idea, but I think the cobalt bow-tie will be enough of an "attention drawer".
    Wouldn't want to steal the groom's thunder.
    I'll keep it in mind for a different event!

I would choose dark blue suit, it's definitly more appropriate. Just take a look on outfit:
    http://www.fashioo.nl/look/130-Marin...-schoenen.html
    Last edited by marlie; 17-10-2013 at 11:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread