FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Best high street shop for smart clothing.

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to update my wardrobe with some smart chinos/trousers and shirts which can be worn for nights out and during the day through the weekend. The issue I'm coming across is that high street chinos are all very casual and shirts are either too casual or too work-like.

Can anyone recommend a good place on the uk high street that do affordable, smart/casual clothing.

Thanks

Craig

J8x

Trend Setter
    Reiss should be your first port of call.

High Street is such a broad spectrum nowadays - guessing Reiss may be too expensive? Great if not, but I'll assume it is. All Saints would also be great for this but is pretty top end.

Topman, River Island, Next, Burton, H&M, even Primark will all have stuff like this - you may need to look online or at the bigger stores though. Asos is also a great shout you can get anything on there.

Trend Setter
    Also have a look in Uniqlo if there's one nearby. They do really decent, inoffensive clothing which straddles smart / casual.

I have a couple of nice v neck sweaters for them which I wear to work then wear with jeans to the pub. The quality's great IMO and the price is good too.

Fashionisto
    Im going to throw COS into the mix here, my new favorite shop. Its technically an offshoot of H&M, focusing on more formal pieces, albeit at a higher price bracket (50 a shirt as a guide). I picked this shirt up the other week and I love it, their stuff has nice detailing:

Shirt with press studs

I would also have a look into the Kooples if you can, their sales are generous and bring the prices down to near high street prices (80 for a shirt).

Zara is also worth a look, they have a pretty good range of formal>casual stuff in normally. Price wise they are really competitive.

Zara without doubt

Nat

Style Icon
    Agree Zara do some nice stuff.

One brand that has really improved in the last few years is Next. They used to be very "middle aged dad", but now have a great range of menswear, right from sports through to formal, and everything in between. they are becoming my go-to for good value work clothes i.e. slim-fitting shirts and trousers. Better quality than most of the high street too.

Trend Setter
    I used to love Zara but lately noticed the quality isn't great. I bought chinos that faded in colour and then fell apart quite easily and the shirts don't seem to fit or iron well

Style Icon
    One word. Zara.

Though Pins is right, if you are including the upper-highstreet in your definition, then Reiss should be your first port of call.

Also, don't forget House of Fraser, Debehams and similar stores. They quite often have reduced stock.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the advice. Reiss and AllSaints are a bit out of reach at the moment.

I went shopping at the weekend and checked out the usual suspects and found that h&m is definitely my preffered place to shop as everywhere else is like one direction fancy dress!

I managed to get a couple of pieces which are pretty versatile so I'm happy for now, but will definitely check out cos online as there isn't a store in the north east.

+ Reply to Thread