FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Office Essentials

Our office has a smart/casual dress policy.I'm binning a lot of my old clothes and starting from scratch, because I don't have a proper work section in my wardrobe. What items should I consider?
    Thanks Guys

Fashionisto
    A cotton jumper is a must in my opinion. Can be worn over a shirt when it gets a bit colder.

Some smart chino's, in a beige/navy would also be on my list.

Then a few shirts in different colours/prints.

Trend Setter
    Shirts for work (generally oxford, apart from they're stuffy in really hot weather) colours like light blue, white and grey tend to go with everything. An 'essential' pattern you could try is gingham, white & blue and also in black & white.

Trend Setter
    Grey flannel style trousers.

Dark blue odd jacket.

Pair(s) of good quality leather shoes/boots that will last and look smart.

Suit (because at some stage you are likely to need one).

Fashionisto
    Office wear needs to be basic items of good quality make.

You will be wearing them time and time again so whilst that designer purple shawl neck top might get some compliments when you first wear it, when you have it on for the 5th time that month, you are going to seem like you always wear the same things. Go for simple items like white oxford shirts, navy blazer, stone chinos, derby, oxford or brogue shoes and grey/black trousers in good cuts, the key is to look elegantly put together, not like you have some expensive items and drawing attention to an overall look rather than a specific item prevents apparent 'overexposure'.

Similarly, as you will be wearing the clothes a lot more often than those in your social wardrobe, and you will probably be doing the same actions over and over again, resulting in wear to certain areas in a pretty short time. Choosing clothes constructed from natural fibers may be more expensive, but they are likely to last a lot longer. Furthermore, natural fibers will show wear in a much more natural way, synthetic fibers tend to start showing their plastic roots when worn every day. This is especially true of suits!

Trend Setter
    Some excellent advise guys , much appreciated.

I have purchased some slim fit TM lewin shirts earlier in the week. My shoe collection is quite versatile. I have good quality loafers, brogues,smart black shoes, and I'm adding blue suede desert boots.

I wanted to add some chinos/trousers but having major difficulty getting some that fit and are good quality. Bought three pairs from zara, which I haven't been happy with the quality of. I have large thighs (gym and sport) and cant find the right pair. Either thighs are too tight or the bottom half isn't tapered. Aiming for an Italian style smart /casual look

Trend Setter
    Might not suit you or be to your taste, but in the last year I have bought a pair of trousers like that from White Stuff in their Gentleman's Relish range that I liked the cut of a lot. They might not be quite tapered enough for you though.

+ Reply to Thread