FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Are Expensive Sunglasses Worth It?

It's about that time of year again when I star to think I might actually have the occasion to wear sunglasses. The cheap ASOS ones I bought last year are a bit knackered from dropping them a few too many times, and I'm not really sure I like the shape. I'm contemplating biting the bullet and buying some Ray Ban Wayfarers, but can't quite justify spending 100+ on sunglasses. I tried some of the original shaped ones on today and did liked them a lot though. Question is, do you get what you pay for? And will I look after them any better if they cost ? I thought I would look after my new TM Lewin unbrella because it cost a bit more, but I lost it within a few weeks, still have no idea where! Am I better off finding another disposable pair?
    Last edited by Alex; 01-06-2013 at 07:25 PM.

i bought my first pair of 'proper' sunglasses last summer. had all the same worries as you. don't regret it one bit. nothing is cooler than stepping out in a pair of incredible sunglasses.

yeah, you could lose them, but for the first few weeks you'll be super aware that you're wearing an expensive pair so you'll be a bit more careful, and by then you'll like them so much you'll wonder how you ever got on without them. And you could apply the 'I'm worried I'll lose it' argument to almost anything. sometimes, you just gotta take the leap of faith.

at least, that's how it was with me. Freakin' love my sunny's now.

Fashionisto
    The way I see it is the glasses are on your face, so anyone you talk to is going to be looking directly at them. Personally I'd want them to be looking at some nice ray bans rather then cheap knock offs.
    Plus cheaper glasses have cheaper lenses which really could be dangerous for your eyes.

Style Icon
    "Worth it" is very subjective. But yeah, they cost more because they're of higher quality, higher quality (in general) lasts longer and looks better. Sure, part of the price is purely brand related, but the higher price will make you respect them more and treat them better. On that part, I consider it worth it.

Things that don't make it worth it is, as you've said, the risk of losing them. That's sort of the same problem as with gloves in winter - they tend to disappear. For me there's also the element of small children breaking my stuff, or distracting me to the point where I misplace the glasses and lose them.

I'd say go for it though! Quality shades always look better than cheap.

Trend Setter
    I have a pair of Ray-Ban Clubmasters (pure luck) and they are just perfect. The style and quality far exceeds my original choice of Primark sunnies. Higher end sunglasses are worth an investment.

FashionBeans Staff
    Without a doubt you get what you pay for. All the reasons above are exactly right. I've had my clubmasters for 4 years and they're just as solid as they were when new, you definitely look after them more.

Fashionisto
    Well... I purchased a Persol 712 pair about 2 years ago.
    They were pretty expensive!.... However I use them very often since then, and they are just great.

I think it worth to purchase a good pair once, instead of cheap pairs every 1-2 years....

Trend Setter
    defo get them, well worth it - ive had a pair of ray ban aviators for about 6 years, but got a pair of the "new wayfarers" in december and only worn them once and the hinge is bent so a bit dissapointed with them - but im told they can be repaired easily and under warrenty.

Fashionisto
    You sound just how I did a couple of years ago. I always thought "but what if I lose/scratch/break them?". But as said, you can say that about anything you ever buy.

I've had my Wayfarers almost 2 years now, and are still as good as the day I got them. The quality is hugely better than cheaper ones from TopMan etc.

Nothing beats stepping out in to the sun with an amazing pair of sunglasses on.

Trend Setter
    SOLD.

Yes, the new wayfarers look and feel less strurdy than the originals. It is the originals that I am interested in.

If the sun stays out I may just wonder into Harvey Nichols and pay full whack instead of shopping around online. Unless anyone knows the cheapest place to get Wayfarers?

Cheers everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last