FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Summer / casual dress advice

Hey guys.

I know there are loads of these type of threads but I am really really struggling with the summer / casual dressing.

For work on Friday's we are allowed to wear casual clothes. This includes anything other than shorts, flip flops and the obvious sarong, speedos etc.

Now, for my Monday to Thursday work wear I am absolutely fine. Smart work clothes for me are not a problem.
    Winter outfits are not a problem. I love layering. I feel way more comfortable in a t-shirt that is layered with a nice cardigan, scarf and blazer or coat than I am in just a t-shirt.

My main problem is I am a skinny guy (5 foot 9 so not tall but not really short) and I hate my arms. Finding t-shirts that fit can be tricky but even when one does fit I feel massively under-dressed in just a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. It just does nothing for me.

I get quite a few compliments on my work wear as I take a lot of pride in what I wear and buy nice items of clothing and shoes etc, but I just can't make a t-shirt and jeans look good.
    Now I do try and layer in the summer too using a denim jacket, or a lightweight thin cardigan, but I really feel clueless when it comes to looking good in casual wear.
    I'm not looking for compliments or anything, just to feel comfortable in what I'm wearing. Not just for work, but at weekends too when I also wear casual stuff. I still want to look smart but I just do not know where to start.

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas they can throw my way for how to break my 'I hate summer clothing' mindset?!
    Any key pieces I should think about picking up that will work really well for this no doubt short period of warm weather?!

Thanks y'all!

Style Icon
    Go for a casual shirt rather than a t-shirt? Something like madras or linen would be good in warm weather and fairly casual. A royal blue/indigo linen shirt with cream/off-white/white jeans is a summer favourite of mine.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

JEK

Trend Setter
    I also tend to feel under-dressed and a little uncomfortable in only t-shirt and jeans, so I know your problem. Have you tried polo shirts instead? I feel more dressed in polos compared to t-shirts... When I wear a tee only I try to be extra self-conscious about having a good posture. T-shirt reveals the body shape very clearly, so I feel a lot better when I know my posture is good.

Apart from polo shirt, I can warmly recommend a couple of button-down oxford shirts- if you haven't got it already.

Trend Setter
    Go preppy. Like BSB said, linen and madras are briliant. Try an outfit like: penny loafers, cream shorts, madras shirt and a neutral jumper slung over your shoulders.

Trend Setter
    Some great suggestions thanks guys.

Yeah I agree re the polo tees. It's finding decent ones (and ones that fit) that don't look like what I used to wear under my jumper at primary school! Ha.

I have a couple of oxford shirts and they're ok but it's always tricky pairing them with something I find. Shorts are ok out of work but in work on casual days it's not allowed. I also find shirts look so strange when they're not tucked in but then find them strange tucked into jeans / chinos whatever.

As you can probably tell, summer is not my favourite time for fashion.

I have loads of coloured jeans that are currently being altered in the leg (both in leg length and width) and these are in an off white, a red and an orange colours.
    I intend to wear the cream ones a lot over summer and think the orange could be thrown in somewhere but again it's just trying to decide how and what to wear them with.

I'll give some of your ideas a look and see what I can come up with! Also will start posting more in the what are you wearing today so you can either congratulate me or berate me on my choices ha.

Thanks again.

Your primary concern

It sounds to me that your primary concern is not style so much as it is fit and proportion.

I am 5'9" as well and skinny too so perhaps I am your body twin. I weigh about 125 pounds, maybe 130; are you much less?

In my 30s I have learned much about style and self-acceptance.

I wear either fairly tight t-shirts or horizontal stripe patterns because they're flattering on a skinny guy. I have t-shirts from an American brand called Express (I assume you are in Britain), Topman, and several other brands from ASOS. I don't see why you couldn't do Topman's t-shirts, or Uniqlo, H & M, River Island. They all should fit well; I almost always wear a small, and I have 1 or 2 XS from Topman. I often get compliments on these shirts I wear; one today whilst leaving the grocery store! There is a men's underwear brand called N2N (= next to nothing) which has t-shirts both as underwear and outerwear and I got some striking stripe patterns that hug the shoulders firmly.

I wear tanks (Brit: vests) too, and usually not oversized. My arms are long and I have very small wrists; I am not muscly, although I am strong for someone my size.

+ Reply to Thread