FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Summer up top

I'm heading to France in the summer and don't know what to take for the the top half. I'll be taking linen trousers / tailored shorts for my lower half but don't know whether to go with polos, short sleeve, or long sleeve shirts.

Evening wear I'm sorted with chinos and shirts but its during the day I'm struggling with!

What's peoples preferences?

Fashionisto
    Whatever you're comfortable with really. If the trousers are on the smarter side I'd drop the polos, but I know a lot of people here really like them even for smart-casual wear, and I'm biased because they're not my thing. I personally go for long-sleeve shirts, that way you have the full arm length if you need, else you can roll them up.

If it's hot then you'll be wanting some lightweight t-shirts, which look great with tailored shorts.

I would also not go anywhere without a few vests - they look cool with an open shirt over them, or just by themselves.

It all comes down to your personal style though tbh.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_wag View Post
    I'm heading to France in the summer and don't know what to take for the the top half. I'll be taking linen trousers / tailored shorts for my lower half but don't know whether to go with polos, short sleeve, or long sleeve shirts.

Evening wear I'm sorted with chinos and shirts but its during the day I'm struggling with!

What's peoples preferences?
    Go with tailored Polo shirts (i love the washed look ones), long sleeve shirts with rolled sleeves look great with tailored shorts and a printed short sleeve shirt is also very versatile.

you could also wear vests - but im not keen on them unless its on a beach.

The French Wear Lots of Black

Is this a vacation, meaning will you be in resort towns on the coast?

In general, French people wear lots of black unless it's beastly hot (and it can be). Hoodlums wear white, so I would say choose darker neutrals rather than lighter ones and be rather dressy and put-together so you look like you belong. The whole country often looks -- aghast -- at American tourists just thinking "you could do so much better." Don't be that guy.

Nat

Style Icon
    It totally depends what you're going to be doing, and how smart/put together you need to look.

I've never been a massive fan before, but I am loving polo shirts this summer. Perfect smart-casual wear imo.

For something more relaxed, try breton-stripe t shirts, maybe in cream and burgundy for something a bit more unusual than blue and white.

+ Reply to Thread