FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Fashionisto
    Don't expect supplements to work miracles. They should be used in conjunction with a healthy eating plan, and a good workout routine. Don't fall in to the trap like many do of thinking that knecking a shake after a workout will pile on the muscle. And don't replace a meals with shakes.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I have started upping the press-ups. It's strange, I use to be quite happy with my body. I've always been ridiculously skinny, but I was also quite toned before. Now I'm just the former.

I might research protein supplements.
    i wouldnt worry - happens to most, maintaining muscle mass can be difficult if your a vegitarian.

Press ups are fine, but dont neglect the rest of your body - maybe try indoor climbing or something as its a bit more exiting than going to the gym and will give your body a decent workout.

As for supplements, save your money for nice clothes and try to eat a bit more - things like peanut butter & humuus are good for snacking on as theyre relatively high in protein and healthy fats.

THM

Fashionisto
    I would get down the gym but it's quite intimidating starting out when you're as tiny as me.
    I've been back at the gym for the last 7 months and I would estimate that at least half of the folks there are very self-conscious and out of shape. I'm fairly sure that even the big, toned guys are wishing for more, otherwise they wouldn't be putting in so much work.

I think that a bit like the world of fashion, a person's gym presence is largely shaped by their confidence. Anyone in the gym that looks comfortable and relaxed, fits in well, regardless of their shape. It's the ones that turn up on day 1, stick a machine on a weight that they think it impressive and manage 3 reps before sodding off - they're the ones that stick out.

Maybe start with some mat work or an open class rather than going straight onto the machines.

Trend Setter
    I would get down the gym but it's quite intimidating starting out when you're as tiny as me.
    Nath I have EXACTLY the same problem as you, I bought some dumbells from Argos to make a start with before using stuff at the gym. Might be worth a try?

Fashionisto
    Sorry to derail (though I am kind of going back to the original subject), but the biggest issue for me is that I can't find stores that do slim-fit shirts for anything other than formal wear. This leaves me no option to tuck in casual shirts because they just bag up, and they don't look particularly good un-tucked either unless they have at least a small amount of shaping. However, cloths like linen seem to be exclusive to the casual category, and as such tend to be regular fit. Also, as I don't layer much in summer, I'll often have a shirt as my top item of clothing, and I find formal shirts a bit plain for this, rather preferring patterns or detailing (I quite like double breast pockets and epaulettes when I can get them).

Zara look as though they may do some casual shirts in slim-fits, so I'll probably stop in there at some point, but if anyone else has any other suggestions they would be welcomed. Otherwise I suspect I shall just have to buy regular fits and get them tailored (it probably doesn't cost much to get the sides taken in).

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    i wouldnt worry - happens to most, maintaining muscle mass can be difficult if your a vegitarian.

Press ups are fine, but dont neglect the rest of your body - maybe try indoor climbing or something as its a bit more exiting than going to the gym and will give your body a decent workout.

As for supplements, save your money for nice clothes and try to eat a bit more - things like peanut butter & humuus are good for snacking on as theyre relatively high in protein and healthy fats.
    Good shout on peanut butter. One of the absolute best things you can eat.
    Greek yogurt as quite a bit of protein too, and its delicious

+ Reply to Thread