FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Never feeling like I 'dress up'

Ok so here's my problem after investing in essential clothes for work, I never feel like I dress up when I go out either for a night out or meal or family function etc. I just find my self pretty much wearing what I would wear to work, but in these social situations listed.

My clothes generally are based around:
    shirts: oxfords (white, light blue grey), patterned (blue & white gingham), pin striped (grey and black, white and blue)
    jeans/chinos: black jeans, chinos chambray and charcoal
    shoes: mid brown loafer/boats, chocolate ankle boot lace ups.

Because of this I always feel like I'm dressed for work when I go out, does anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions?

Thanks.

Style Icon
    Maybe get some stuff that's smart but a little too flamboyant for work? Coloured chinos, bright shirts & knits, that sort of thing
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

A really nice leather / suede jacket would do the trick, or maybe a nice blazer or two

Either of those options would take your outfits to the next level by the sound of it.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    Because of this I always feel like I'm dressed for work when I go out, does anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions?
    Yes, I've got the same "problem", though I don't really have a problem with it. I stick to my style, if you like, and I'm usually better dressed than most - be it for work or party.

I normally never wear a suit to work, so if it's a special occasion I usually go for a dark grey, checked suit. Shirt and tie depending on the occasion - could be anything from white dress shirt with silk tie, to a button down Ben Sherman shirt with a knit tie. A versatile suit - i.e. one that can be easily dressed up or down (i.e. NOT a black suit) - can be your best friend in these situations.

Fashionisto
    Interesting. As I live in a place where like everywhere which isn't London or NYC, workplaces are quite casual regarding clothing-
    I find myself trying to dress down during the day. At night I allow myself dressing up, but I go bolder- shorts, colors, etc.

Trend Setter
    Thanks guys, it seems what I'm wearing is essentially the 'right' stuff but I just need to go more ambitious with the colours and get a few top notch jackets then.

To be honest I tend to base my whole appearance on what Ryan Gosling is wearing, he's definitely my style idol.

I guess the feeling of not dressing up comes from when you have a work-do, it's like you go home get washed and changed then head out, and I get the feeling people think I've just turned up for work (clothing wise). Especially since the women I work with always tell me how well I dress, I feel like I'm letting them down a bit!
    Last edited by adamski123; 13-06-2013 at 05:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread