FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Saving money on clothing

Hey guys,

I was looking on eBay earlier and seen some really good deals on oxford shirts. I wanted to buy a couple for work from Ralph Lauren. Does the fit matter if I'm getting it altered? For instance the Yarmouth shirt from Ralph Lauren is apparently their baggiest fit , but If I were to take it to tailor they could make the same shirt into a slim fitting oxford?

Thanks for the help

Fashionisto
    If you took them to a decent tailor then I don't see any reason as to why they wouldn't be able to alter them how you want.

Trend Setter
    Careful on eBay with Ralph Lauren. Lots of fakes about.

Trend Setter
    cheers lads will do

Trend Setter
    I'd steer well clear of RL shirts on eBay. Unless you recognise the company selling them I very much doubt the majority of them are genuine.

If you're after value Oxford shirts why not try Gap (I have a white and a blue from there which were around 20 each, full price). Even Primark have some surprisingly decent looking Oxford shirts with nice contrasting tortoiseshell buttons for 7-8 at the minute.

JEK

Trend Setter
    As a slim guy I find that even RL's slim fit oxford shirt are too baggy. Sleeve length and collar fits fine, but there i too much excess fabric around the chest/back...
    Just a word of advice if you decide to buy the model you mentioned in the first post.

Trend Setter
    Are all of the RL stuff on eBay fake? I was considering buying a polo shirt from there since the retail price is way too steep IMO.

Trend Setter
    I buy from eBay a lot, but have always avoided RL stuff because it is so dominated by fakes. Agree that the RRP is steep for polos especially. Oi Polloi currently have some on sale, no doubt a few other places will do too. I tend to get my Oxford shirts from Uniqlo, because they fit well and cost about 15-20. I keep an eye out for them in my size on eBay too. I have some from GAP but prefer the Uniqlo ones for some reason. I'd like some RL Oxford shirts, but even if I could afford them, the ones I have tried on in places like TK Maxx have been too long in the arms and sometimes too big in the body too.

Style Icon
    I wouldn't say the fit is completely irrelevent. You want to make sure they fit in the shoulders at least, or it would mean restructuring the whole shirt!

Personally I avoid RL for a different reason: I just don't like the stigma attached to the brand. But yes, there are ALOT of fakes on eBay.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Some great points here. I'm generally not too bad at spotting fakes.

1. If the person has sold many items and has 99.9-100% feedback, its unlikely to be a fake
    2.Buying second hand ones in good condition

I have a 17' neck, 42' chest and the Yarmouth 17' would look like a tent on, but I thought my tailor could make it into a custom fit. I couldnt justify spending 90 on one of their shirts new.

I will take a look at Uniqlo and Gap also

+ Reply to Thread