FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Bespoke VS High street blazers.

Hey everyone,

First time posting here and really glad I finally found a community like this where I can discuss mens fashion with others who don't demand I spend a months salary on a pair of shoes

I have found myself recently wearing more blazers and experimenting them with different styles and colours and outfits. I usually spend about 50 on a linen blazer from H&M up to about 90 in Zara for a more formal blazer.

But I have noticed that bespoke blazers can easily run into the hundreds of pounds. Now to me I like the look and fit of my H&M/Zara blazers, but I'm wondering if people who know what to look for are looking at me thinking I shop around in bins for my clothes because my blazers aren't bespoke nor fitted on Saville Row.

How do you all feel about high fashion vs high street when it comes to your blazers? Do you feel the hundreds of pounds difference is really warranted for the average male who just wants to look good?

Fashionisto
    For me, whether the item is expensive or non expensive, the most important thing is the fit. A non expensive item fitted really well can look much better than an ill-fitting expensive item. Obviously there will be a difference in quality in terms of materials etc..but that is something we all have to deal with!!!

It comes down to affordability I guess.

I was out one evening and some fella made the effort to come over to me and said he really liked my blazer, where's it from.......On telling him I got it from H&M he turned his nose up, when 10 seconds ago he liked it!!

Like I said "the most important thing is the fit"

Fashionisto
    As above really. If it looks good, who cares about the name/price tag.

Trend Setter
    Agree fit (and cut) is key, but materials run a close second for me. Generally I go for 100% natural materials such as wool, cotton or linen. I balk at spending too much in places like Zara and Topman when the quality is not anywhere near as good as paying a third to 50% more. I buy a lot of stuff from eBay, and though it is fair to say a small amount of it has to gets sold on, that is generally becuase I impulse bought, much the same as sale items.

Style Icon
    Agreed, fit is everything. The perfect blazer is actually quite minimal with regard to detailing, design and colour. A well fitting jacket speaks volumes.

My tailor is indispensable to me, as I'm 6ft one with a 36 (sometimes less) chest.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Style Icon
    When it comes to blazers, I find that more expensive makes usually are more comfortable and durable. And the cut of high street blazers can be atrocious. But much like the other posters, I don't care too much about bespoke or brands.

Material and quality is important to me. I try to avoid synthetics in blazers, firstly because they usually wear out faster and secondly because they usually are less comfortable - not breatheing, thus trapping sweat. If you wear it at the office all day, you need it to breath! No matter how good something looks, if the quality and comfort isn't there, I don't buy it.

Blazers I rarely buy at H&M, Topman and the likes, because, just like Alex mentioned, for a little more money you get a lot more quality. Or I try to find stuff I like second hand, sometimes you get a lot more for a lot less, if you just care to look a bit further.

Agree on fit being the most important. It's also essential to have natural fibers imo - no polyester etc.

It's worth noting that there is a substantial middle ground between Zara / H&M and Bespoke. Places like Reiss, All Saints, and tons of other brands all produce stuff in great cuts and quality off the peg.

My top tip is to shop in TK Maxx. I got myself a Reiss blazer there recently for 19. 100% wool and fits like a glove. I have also picked up Feraud, Holland Esq etc blazers in there under 100, and these are blazers that cost 500+ normally.

So basically, you can have your cake and eat it.

Trend Setter
    I like TK Maxx or online sales. If you go on some of the top designer sites you can often find last season's stuff (which is classic and timeless) at half price or less. On top of that these sites will email you out offer codes regularly which you can use on top of regular discounts. Otherwise retail outlets can be great. There's an Austin Reed outlet where I live that often sells off high quality casual blazers at 99 or less when they usually cost 100s. Key is to make sure sites offer free refunds if items don't fit (nearly all do) so you have nothing to lose by buying online.

Fashionisto
    Agree with Pin, TK Maxx have some awesome blazers, i recently picked up a Holland Esquire blazer thats fits like i had had it made to measure all for 79.99

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_Ireland View Post
    I have found myself recently wearing more blazers and experimenting them with different styles and colours and outfits. I usually spend about 50 on a linen blazer from H&M up to about 90 in Zara for a more formal blazer.

But I have noticed that bespoke blazers can easily run into the hundreds of pounds. Now to me I like the look and fit of my H&M/Zara blazers, but I'm wondering if people who know what to look for are looking at me thinking I shop around in bins for my clothes because my blazers aren't bespoke nor fitted on Saville Row.
    The truth is you are never going to get a blazer or jacket from H&M or Zara that looks like a tailored one - let alone a bespoke one. The issue is whether that really matters to you?

A bespoke jacket is fitted to you. The panels will be made so that they match your body shape, the lining will give the jacket a shape that cheap off the peg will never have. You can discuss with the tailor the way it is cut so that it reflects your desires and each tailor will have a slightly different style so you can find one that gives you exactly what you want.

A Zara or H&M jacket is never going to have that quality. By comparison to a well cut and made off the peg jacket it won't look quite as good.

I don't own a bespoke jacket. I'd like to but, finances being what they are, I have other things to spend my money on. I have a linen casual odd jacket that I'm very fond of that I got for just a few pounds. It fits well enough and is exactly what I want. I don't have the need for a more expensive one.

I agree with the comments about buying from good off the peg suppliers - whether that is Austin Reed or Reiss - and paying a little bit more for something that is better cut and with getting a jacket adjusted to improve its fit. It is excellent advice.

That said, most of the time, simply wearing clothes that you feel comfortable in and which make you feel smart are the important thing - whether they are from Zara or eBay. Very few of us can afford the individually tailored clothing and we shouldn't feel embarrassed about it.

+ Reply to Thread