FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Nice suit on a budget

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a suit to wear to weddings and other formal events. As I am a student, my budget is pretty tight so I was thinking of buying a suit at H&M or Zara (only if I can find a good fit of course). Any thoughts on the quality/value for money? I wouldn't want it to be stiflingly hot or look cheap. Does anyone have any experience with these "budget-suits"?

Cheers

Fashionisto
    I would look no further than M&S personally. I have had numerous suits from there, from low end to high end, and never had a single complaint.

The "cheap" suits there are always a decent fit and quality.

Fashionisto
    When you say cheap, how cheap do you mean??

I have bought suits from Next and found that the quality is ok but the fit is generally quite good, and can get one for about 100

Trend Setter
    I'm looking for a suit that's preferably round a bout 100, max 200.

Trend Setter
    O, and thanks for the replies.

Trend Setter
    TM Lewin suits start at 229 on the website. The code TMLPUR gives 25% off at the minute which would get you into a decent suit for 170 ish.

That said, Adam's suggestion to try M&S is also bang on the money. I've had a few from them and, aside them falling out of style quickly (my fault, not theirs), they've been fantastic suits.

Trend Setter
    The Lewin's recommendation is a good one.

Austin Reed have a sale on reducing their suits to about 160 - 200 and are well worth trying.

Beyond that T X Maxx sometimes can be a goldmine and if you have a Slaters Menswear store they do great bargain end of line suits.

I bought a suit from Burton 2years ago for 80; it's a fantastic fit & good quality. However I've never bought or seen anything from there since! It's always worth checking places you don't expect for that unexpected gem.

Trend Setter
    How would you guys compare the TM Lewin suits to designer ones you see on Mr Porter for example? The RRPs seem to be similar to the cost of ones on those types of sites. Must admit I hadn't heard of TM Lewin before coming on here but I want to buy an investment suit for job interviews along with all of the accessories. I am however a little bit skeptical/nervous about buying from a company I'd previously never heard of. Just don't want to be disappointed if I spend 350 expecting a 700 quality suit and it turns out to be just an Austin Reed level one.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    How would you guys compare the TM Lewin suits to designer ones you see on Mr Porter for example? The RRPs seem to be similar to the cost of ones on those types of sites. Must admit I hadn't heard of TM Lewin before coming on here but I want to buy an investment suit for job interviews along with all of the accessories. I am however a little bit skeptical/nervous about buying from a company I'd previously never heard of. Just don't want to be disappointed if I spend 350 expecting a 700 quality suit and it turns out to be just an Austin Reed level one.
    To be frank 350 is at the very top end of what I'd be prepared to pay for a TM Lewin suit. The quality and fit is extremely good but as a brand it is a high street brand and certainly not one I'd put in the same bracket as G&H, Daks, Burberry etc, the likes of which I guess are similar to Mr Porter.

+ Reply to Thread