FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    JEK

Trend Setter

Trench coat questions

Hello gentlemen

I have been wondering what the purpose is of this strap on the collar of my trench coat.

I must admit that I have no idea, but I'm sure that someone on this site can help me solving this mystery.

Another question: I have some trouble with the belt when I just tie a knot - it tend to untie itself after a few minutes. Does anyone know a trick to keep the knot tight?

Best regards
    Johan

Trend Setter
    I think the idea is that - along with the metal hook and eye by the throat - you can keep the neck closed and avoid water getting in around your neck no matter how bad the weather. My obviously inferior version doesn't have the strap and buckle so I can't comment on how useful it is. This webpage - Trench Coat Guide - discusses it and calls it a 'throat latch'. As for the belt coming undone when you tie it, I have no idea how Bogart managed to keep it in place with an apparently simple left over right tie. There are, obviously, more complex knots you could tie, but that misses the point of the relaxed negligent style. I gave up. You can then either pull the belt through the buckle but then tie the end off around the main belt strap or tie the ends of the belt behind your coat as an alternative.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I think the idea is that - along with the metal hook and eye by the throat - you can keep the neck closed and avoid water getting in around your neck no matter how bad the weather. My obviously inferior version doesn't have the strap and buckle so I can't comment on how useful it is. This webpage - Trench Coat Guide - discusses it and calls it a 'throat latch'. As for the belt coming undone when you tie it, I have no idea how Bogart managed to keep it in place with an apparently simple left over right tie. There are, obviously, more complex knots you could tie, but that misses the point of the relaxed negligent style. I gave up. You can then either pull the belt through the buckle but then tie the end off around the main belt strap or tie the ends of the belt behind your coat as an alternative.
    Thank you for an elaborate answer and an interesting link. Aha, so the throat latch is there to tighten the collar. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that struggles with the belt knot. I tried to tie it behind the coat today. It actually looks quite good, slims the waist area of the coat nicely.

JEK

Trend Setter
    I tried with a square knot, what do you think?

Trend Setter
    I do that all the time. Generally because it's quicker haha but it looks pretty cool to so I just roll with it!

Trend Setter
    Looks good. Does it stay in place?

woah thats smart I like the ones on yoox though!

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Looks good. Does it stay in place?
    It does, yes.

+ Reply to Thread