FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    JEK

Trend Setter

The proper sleeve length on shirts

Hello guys

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on sleeve length for both dress- and casual shirts.

This is how most of my shirts fits:

This is a slim fit shirt with extra long sleeves:

Being tall (6,4) and lanky I must say that I prefer the shirt with longer sleeves. If the sleeves are a bit shorter (like in the first picture) i feel like my already long arms appear even longer. Do you guys agree?

I found this interesting: The Proper Shirt Sleeve Length The Sartorialist
    According to this article it is the first shirt (with normal sleeve length) that fits me best.

Please share your thoughts on this subject (Pics are very welcome).

Do you think there's a difference in ideal/accepteble sleeve length when it comes to more casual shirts?
    The sleeve length of the blazer/jacket is of course also a factor to be considered, but let's just focus on the shirts for now.
    Regards
    Johan

Style Icon
    In my opinion, the second/lower shirt fits better - the first/top looks a bit short on the second picture. However, if you want to show off some wrist jewellery, or a watch the first one would be better.

I agree with you, that if you want to give the appearance of shorter arms, a slightly longer sleeve is preferable.

As for acceptable sleeve lengths, it's really hard to say, since it's all about what kind of look the wearer wants to have, and blazers/jackets start to come into play as well. Personally, I don't see a difference between smarter and more casual shirts (unless the casual shirt is short sleeved, of course). But if the sleeve is so short it feels restrictive, it's too short.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Good point with the jewellery/watch. Now I really need to buy myself a watch...
    Regards
    Johan

Style Icon
    Sleeve length is a highly personal thing.

As a tall, skinny guy like yourself, I sometimes have to make allowances when it comes to casual shirts. If casual shirts cover my wrist bone, I'm personally okay with that.

For formal shirts, I prefer the sleeves longer, possibly reaching to the bottom of my palm. This, again, is personal preference though.

It's what makes YOU feel comfortable.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    It's what makes YOU feel comfortable.
    Indeed. I wish I'd made that point.

Trend Setter
    I think that the second shirt fits you well.

The cuff should be about the base of the thumb (whilst a jacket cuff might end at your actual wrist giving probably just under an inch of shirt cuff showing). Button cuffs - like yours here - will tend to hang shorter, because they are closer around the wrist, than double cuffs, adding a further complication.

That said, its not something I worry about massively - finding shirts with long enough sleeves can be a real bind.

As for casual shirts, I really don't concern myself.
    Last edited by Wolf; 02-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread